Symptoms also vary on the way you have contracted anthrax theses are listed below but are certainly not limited to:
- Skin - ulcer as listed above
- Inhalation - fever, chest pain, shortness of breath
- Intestinal - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain
- Injection - fever, access at site of drug injection
How does it spread?
Whenever you come into contact with the spores of bacteria (often infectious animal products) through either breathing or eating, through an area of broken skin. Although it does not typically spread between people, certain careers and occupations are at higher risks such as;
- People who handle animals or animal products
- Postal workers
- Military personnel
How many people are infected?
Per year in the US only about 2 people contract anthrax. Overall in the world about 20,000 cases are reported annually as well.