LinguaConnect.org a tour and introduction
When a teacher joins the community, he or she has full access to all of its features. The homepage is the starting point for members and offers the following features:
- overview of all site activity represented on the timeline
- ability to post a question, thought, idea, challenge to the timeline
- scan a feed displaying Tweets tagged with the hashtag #langchat
- check out the latest news on the site
- see who has joined recently
This section of the site will offer a permanent collection of useful links. Additionally, members can suggest that new links be added by completing a brief form to submit. There are separate pages of resources by language and also a page devoted to different teaching approaches.
Each page in the "Resources" section is structured the same way. There's a box that contain the resources as well as a column on the right that offers a language specific Twitter feed.
Files and Videos
Members of the LinguaConnect community are able to upload files and video links to share with other members. Similar to the "News" section, all uploaded files and videos are categorized and tagged to make them fully searchable.
It's easy for members to find groups in which they are interested using the pre-set categories. Members can also suggest that new groups be added to the LinguaConnect community.
Once a critical mass of users is established, the groups will be aa great place for teachers with similar interests to "meet". Within the groups, they can post to a group forum, chat using the messenger feature, as well as upload resources to the group library.
I really wanted to find a way for teachers to connect with each other. Maybe they are interested in finding fellow Spanish teachers or perhaps they would find it rewarding to chat with other teachers interesting in a particular topic... Both options will work.
Using the "people search" tool, teachers can identify others that they'd like to connect with. They can search in the following ways:
- by name - eg. you meet at a workshop and want to continue the conversation online
- by professional interest - simply type in some keywords in the field and see who else is interested
- by language taught - check the box and see what other Mandarin teachers are part of LinguaConnect