Smoky Mountain Aquatic Club's 2018 Swim-a-Thon is here!
Wednesday, March 28th, every SMAC athlete will be taking part in the 2018 Swim-a-thon. It's one of our favorite events of the season. Every SMAC athlete will be swimming 2 hours straight, trying to accumulate as many laps as possible in the time period. We will have bagels, drinks and snacks following the event. Parents will need to count laps for their athlete. They'll need your help - bring a pencil and paper! Show time will be as follows:
- SHOW TIME for ALL GROUPS is 4:00pm, Wednesday, March 28th.
It promises to be an exciting event! Athletes of all ages will surprise you! Travel and Local SMAC athletes 12 and under can wear fins, paddles, kickboards. If athletes have to take a break, take a break! It's a truly fun event, and we'll be looking to dominate some records set last season. All SMAC athletes are expected to attend. Below is the video from 2016!
If you have flat donations, those can be submitted at any time either online or in the SMAC donation box. Per lap donations are due by April 1st. We've got a goal of $10,000, which works out to roughly $100 per athlete. SMAC is a non-profit organization and all donations are tax deductible.
Why Are We Raising Money?
The team is raising money for a multitude of reasons.
- We're looking to raise funds to help with the hiring of another energetic, knowledgable and well qualified coach.
- We're looking to buy materials needed to build a set of Power Towers used for more advanced resistance training.
- We'll be looking to purchase other equipment needed to further advance our younger athletes.
- Funds will be used for continuing coaches education in the form of American Swim Coaches Association clinics and schools.
- 5% of all funds will go into USA Swimming's Foundation.Since 2012, more than $1.4 million has been contributed in support of the USA Swimming Foundation's mission to save lives and build champions from teams hosting a USA Swimming Foundation Swim-a-Thon. Teams sign a contract to contribute 5% (or more) of the gross proceeds from their event to the Foundation. Each year many teams choose to contribute more than 5%, with some teams making the USA Swimming Foundation their charity of choice by donating 100% of their proceeds back to the USA Swimming Foundation!
All proceeds raised at the Swim-A-Thon will be put directly back into the Smoky Mountain Aquatic Club, team events, and the like.
If you cannot make it Wednesday, March 28th please tell a coach. We will organize a Make-Up Swim-a-Thon for your athlete.
Time to get excited!
If you have any questions, please contact Coach Charlie or Coach Scott.