After making a mind map of the movie, we made a poster consisting five key elements of the movie using Adobe InDesign. It took a while for me to get used to InDesign as it was my second task using this Adobe App. I made this as simple as possible without using shapes or extra designs to show that the font helvetica is very simple on its own. All the five key points I put in this poster were in helvetica, but to make the poster look more attractive and creative, I used various colors and formats of the font.
I made more patterns of helvetica cutouts, but I chose these eight best ones. This task was interesting as there would be endless patterns by a little difference. We used cutter knives to cut printed papers written "Helvetica" and made our own distortions by different patterns.
I also used a scanner for distortion. I had to retry more than ten times to get these nice distortions. We did this by moving around the paper with the word "Helvetica" on it across the screen while it is scanning the image. It was challenging to not have our hands within the scanned images, and many were just blank, or scanned an unchanged "Helvetica". The scanning process takes only a few seconds, and I learned after some tries that I had to move the paper at a good timing, vertically, because when you move them horizontally, it processed blank images.
These are the distortions I made in Adobe Illustrator using the distortions we already made. I noticed that there were unnecessary spots, hard to erase. This was because I took the pictures on a green mat and shadows were created between pieces of paper, instead of gluing them on a paper.
These above are the distortions I made using liquify. In liquify, I mainly used three or four tools such as clockwise twirls and zooming in at one spot. In each of the five distortions above, I used more than one tool for each. I like the outcome of these liquify distortions as they look very different to the original helvetica font we worked with but also legible.
I tried many filters and warp tools to create different textures. These are some of the distortions I made using plastic wrap, collared pencil, glowing edges and ink outlines. Few of the ones I tried did not apply very well to my helvetica distortions: sometimes it made no difference or did not suit well to the font. I first worked with the warp tool to make several distortions, then added filter from the filter gallery, and I edited the background colors after applying both. This process was fairly easy as I just needed to add few things to helvetica.
From this website: https://www.typographicposters.com, we each picked interesting posters relating to typography from our own perspectives. I found all the posters on this website interesting, but I chose the ones that I personally thought would help me the most with my designs.
We moved on to making our own typographic posters. We took pictures of our selves and traced our faces with letters (font: helvetica) on Adobe Illustrator. I initially found this very hard when I couldn't find any letters to fit my face parts. I ended up having to use more symbols such as lines or brackets.
For my second typographic portrait I used a serif font called Lucida Bright. This portrait looks quite unique because I tried to use different letters to my first portrait. This portrait has a more bold impression from the thicker letters. It also reminds me of paintings using black ink with thick brushes.
My final typographic portrait uses a Harry Potter font which I downloaded from dafont.com. I like this last portrait the most out of the three. I really like the simplicity of this version, and the way I used blank spaces to fill the portrait. I took a new picture for this portrait, facing the left instead. Though I prefer this one the most, it also took me the last time to make. I took about two hours to make my Serif portrait, but for this, it only took me less than thirty minutes to make.