See this post on why you should use twitter during your PhD
Never been on twitter? Here's a handy 5 part guide to Twitter for Academics
This essay describes how academics can use Twitter effectively
- Twitter is a space that can provide ongoing networked professional learning
- Get to know others in your field, across national borders, time zones
- Keep abreast of the latest research
- Hone your writing skills (the art of bevity)
- Disseminate your work
Tips from the twittersphere
I tweeted this and received the following replies:
- Check every single new follower, to make sure they are real people with real interest in subject matter.
- To build it and maintain it.
- Celebrate other peoples accomplishments!
- Blog your PhD like this
- Never feed the trolls & don't swear online!
- Use a nice, consistent headshot across your networks!
- Don’t, unless you plan to give time and energy to it. That is, know why you’re doing it, and curate it. No point in just having random retweets without trying to build/be part of a community
- Think about starting with a new account for Twitter, obviously using your real name and a handle that won't turn out to be a bit embarrassing. Follow people you don't agree with, obviously.
- Be human. Don't make every tweet about self promotion with four hashtags. Don't use those spammy newsletter apps.
- It shouldn’t be too forced. It’s nice when others are real and relatable. Can’t be too stiff
- Consider your different audiences and purpose and how to communicate with them appropriately.
- Be patient and focus on being people centred not number obsessed. Join conversations Tweetchats are a perfect way to start.
- follow good hashtags, (for example #edchat #aussieed #edtech #acwriting) and join in some twitter chats to find ppl interested in the same areas so you can get good resources/ideas
- Use hashtags such as #phdchat to connect with other students & ask for help & support. Follow ppl such as @thesiswhisperer @tarabrabazon @ThomsonPat for the best advice ever😀 plus - If your research focus is #opened then sign up the to best network ever for for PhD students @GOGN_OER 😀
- Keep your social media audience-focused. Professional Twitter accounts need to stay professional. :-)
- also no shame in lurking for a while and just reading, following others before you start tweeting willy nilly! good to learn the short cuts and acronyms ppl use too!
Connections in action! I was given all of the above advice, plus I was wished good luck for my presentation by an academic friend in Edinburgh