The goal for this project was to creatively balance a one pound cube using nothing but string. The purpose was to understand how loads, in this instance a dead load, can affect a structure and how this one pound cube can achieve equilibrium. Project done with Kevin Crumley.
We started out with testing out different designs to try to achieve equilibrium while also trying to make the model aesthetically pleasing. We tested out these designs through initial sketches and study models.
Our final design is seamless since we decided to not use any fish hooks to connect the string to the model but instead we put indents around the cube and on the base to hold the cube up efficiently.
We decided to use slightly lamented top chords with diagonal cross bracing on top of double bottom chords. We placed two dowels (one on either side of the bridge) on top of the double bottom chords to stabilize the bridge. The next thing we did was to place diagonal bracing on the inside of the bridge as well to stabilize the bridge even more.
Our bridge was able to hold about 21 pounds before it finally snapped. The reason why it snapped was because the two lamented parts of the bridge weren't exactly the same causing the bridge to be slightly uneven. When the loads were placed, the loads also weren't directly placed on the nodes. This combination of factors caused our bridge to slightly lift off the table as more weight was added on. Finally the bridge twisted and snapped under all pressure it was under.