Worldwide, malaria takes the life of a child every two minutes. But this holiday, you can be part of a movement working to change that.
#GiftANet and help protect 100,000 children from malaria by December 31st.
Niger is one of the least developed countries in the world, facing a number of challenges such as desert terrain, chronic food insecurity, natural disasters and security concerns in the border areas.
Malaria is responsible for nearly 30% of all illnesses and 50% of all deaths that occur each year. Children under five are most at risk.
Children account for over 60% of all malaria cases recorded each year in Niger. And worldwide, a child still dies from malaria every two minutes. Currently, there have been 219 million new cases of malaria and 435,000 deaths worldwide.
70% of these deaths were children under five. These deaths are preventable.
Malaria is entirely preventable and treatable, yet many children throughout sub-Saharan Africa - especially those in rural communities and conflict areas - still die of this disease because they don't have access to lifesaving prevention and treatment tools.
Simple, affordable solutions like bed nets can protect a child from malaria and in some cases, even save a life. Just $10 is enough to send two lifesaving bed nets to children in Niger.
And this holiday, we’re aiming to send enough nets to protect 100,000 children from malaria!
1: #GiftANet Today
Through our #GiftANet campaign, you can gift a net to a child in Niger and help Nothing But Nets reach its goal of protecting 100,000 children in Niger from malaria!
When you #GiftANet you'll have the option to make your gift on behalf of someone you love, just in time for the holidays. You can even choose a special #GiftANet e-card to notify your friends and family. #GiftANet today!
2. Start your own #GiftANet Fundraiser
Create Your #GiftANet Facebook Fundraiser
Facebook is an easy and fun way to raise money and awareness! Whether it's your birthday or your passion, we've created a step-by-step guide to help you utilize your network and reach your fundraising goal:
1. Starting out: Go to your News Feed landing page. Click the "Fundraisers" button on the left menu of your Explore list.
2. Select Nothing But Nets: Once you've clicked on "Fundraisers," Facebook will present you with two options to either raise money for a nonprofit and charity or an individual friend. Click on the first option and select Nothing But Nets!
3. Personalize and Create: Choose a cover photo and fill in the fundraiser details. A template and examples for Nothing But Nets will appear once you've selected us. While the Nothing But Nets language is a helpful guide, we want to make sure YOU are making it YOUR own fundraiser. So add your story, why you chose Nothing But Nets, and click create!
4. Share: Once you create a Facebook fundraiser, make sure you share it consistently. Friends will automatically get a notification for birthdays, but you can increase exposure by asking friends to also share your fundraiser or making it part of a new profile picture. Remember, the first 24 hours of a Facebook fundraiser are the most important, so the more exposure during this time period the better.
Build Your Personal #GiftANet Fundraising Page
You can also create your own personal fundraising page through our Nothing But Nets website! Create your own fundraising campaign here. Follow the five easy steps below to set yourself up for success:
1. Make a donation to your own page. People are more likely to donate when they see that someone else has already contributed.
2. Set a time frame and a fundraising goal. Decide how long your fundraiser will run (we recommend 2-4 weeks) and how much money you want to raise. Setting a time frame creates a sense of urgency and people are more likely to give when they know they are helping you reach a goal.
3. Make it personal! Add pictures and videos to the page and tell potential donors why you support Nothing But Nets. Remember, donors will be interested in our cause but they are primarily interested in you. Check out our Nothing But Nets Media Kit for photos and logos and here's some sample language to get you started:
This holiday, I joined a global grassroots movement to fight malaria. I'm going to #GiftANet and help protect 100,00 children in Niger from this preventable yet deadly disease. Help me reach my goal by donating to my fundraiser today!
4. Share with your inner circle first. Before posting on social media, send out your fundraising page to your inner circle of friends and family. Let them know why you are supporting Nothing But Nets and encourage them to make a donation - even if it's $10! After this, share the page with your broader circle or friends, classmates, and co-workers.
5. Make Multiple Touch Points. People receive SO many emails so don't be frustrated if your first email doesn't lead to a donation. Continue to email your network sharing the graphics below, updating them on your progress, and letting them know when you are close to your fundraising goal.
Host Your #GiftANet Event
1. Learn the facts. Before you start planning your fundraiser, familiarize yourself with some of the key stats in the fight against malaria and check out our Nothing But Nets Media Kit for downloadable resources!
2. Start planning. Make a list of all the people you could possibly invite to come to your event. Remember- this is a campaign that everyone can support; it only takes $10 to send two bed nets to children most in need. Send an email to email@example.com to let us know about your event!
3. Get creative! Choose what kind of event you'd like to host. We've got some options to get you started:
Bake Sale: Love sweets? So do we! Plus, nothing beats a homemade cookie during the holiday season. Get a group of friends together and to sell some baked goods at your school, church or workplace. Remember to let your supporters know that it only takes $10 to send two lifesaving bed nets.
Net for a Net: Play basketball, soccer, or hockey? Dedicate a game, tournament, or free-throw contest to the Nothing But Nets #GiftANet Campaign. Charge teams $10 a person or have a sponsor donate $10 for every point scored.
Wine and Cheese Night: Get a group of friends together and dine in. Charge $10 for the cause and we’ll provide you with some material and branding to accompany your charcuterie board! Enjoy your wine and set up a screening of our original film Under the Net for your friends! (Event for adults 21 and over)
Race for a Life: Time is ticking and we're on the clock! Host a 5k at your school or workplace and have each runner commit to raising money to protect kids in Niger from malaria. To deposit funds online, use your personal Nothing But Nets fundraising page.
4. Deposit funds. You can either deposit funds received online, give to your online fundraising page, or if you're hosting an event with cash entry, deposit funds received in a bank account and send a check to this address: Nothing But Nets, 1750 Pennsylvania Ave, Ste 300, Washington DC 20006
3. Get Social
Joining the Nothing But Nets #GiftANet campaign is a great way to honor a friend, colleague, or loved one while sending a net to protect a child from malaria. Not only are you gifting a net on behalf of someone you love, you're also gifting a net to a child who really needs it. You can send an e-card to your loved one and let them know lives were protected with a gift made in their honor.
This year, we want to send enough nets to protect 100,000 children in Niger from malaria. That's a big goal - but together, we can get there. Help spread the word about #GiftANet this holiday season and invite your friends to join the movement!