Be ready to take a journey “Back to the Future” and learn about what some of your peers are doing in their classes through several video testimonials. The videos go over examples of successful strategies for student-centered design, instructor-student and student-student interaction, and pedagogically sound use of educational technologies.
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Create a course flow plan based on different modes of delivery
- Integrate technology to enhance teaching and learning effectiveness
- Design multimodal content and opportunities for interaction though the use of digital tools
- Implement effective practices for active learning
- Develop best practices for course management and time management
Fasten your seat belts! The course is structured into six modules:
- Optimize the Different Modalities for Fall
- Design a Student-Centered Experience
- Plan Your Instructor Presence
- Integrate Technology and Pedagogy Through Universal Design for Learning
- Intertwine the Face-to-Face and Online Component
- Manage Your Course and Find a Balance in Your Workload
Each module includes handouts and templates, resources for deepen learning such as recent articles about instructional design, effective teaching and student success specifically focused on the pandemic and post-pandemic scenario. You will also participate in a “Reflect” activity to help UTSA students have a better learning experience.
The Innovation Academy pilot will launch May 24th for Points of Contact and Faculty Champions to gather their feedback and identify areas of improvement.
Academic Innovation will offer three cohorts during the Summer semester. Cohorts will be facilitated by UTSA instructors:
- Cohort A, starts June 14 | Co-facilitator: Jodi Peterson, Department of History (COLFA) - Live sessions will be offered on June 14-17, from 10:00am to 11:00am
- Cohort B, starts July 12 | Co-facilitator: Terri Matiella, Department of Environmental Science and Ecology (COS) - Live sessions will be offered on July 12-15, from 10:00am to 11:00am
- Cohort C, starts July 26 | Co-facilitator: Ryan McPherson, Department of Communication (COLFA) - Live sessions will be offered on July 26-29, from 10:00am to 11:00am
- Cohort D, starts August 16 | Co-facilitator: Arturo Montoya, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (COE) - Live sessions will be offered on August 16-19 from 10:00am to 11:00am
The live sessions will explore best practices and help participants work on the "Plan to Implement" activity. Content of the Academy is the same in all cohorts.
Created with an image by Peggy_Marco - "back in the future mcfly comiccon"