Finance & Business 2030 (a.k.a. FinBiz2030) is a joint initiative between One Young World (OYW) and Chartered Accountants Worldwide (CAW), launched in London in 2019.
To unite & mobilise the finance and business community to achieve the SDGs by 2030
- Raise awareness & drive advocacy of the SDGs
- Implement actions towards positive change within finance & business
- Call for industry-wide action
- Measure and report on impact
Our Charter - The FinBiz2030 community pledges to:
- Accelerate progress & take action on the SDGs.
- Establish regional task forces to lead actions on local priorities.
- Create an environment where young finance and business professionals can make a real difference for the SDGs.
- Ensure an effective business case is built around each core workstream focusing on positive impacts.
- Document and report on key progress and achievements for full transparency. ‘What can’t be measured, can’t be managed.’
General Participation Criteria
- We are looking for change-makers, innovators and disruptors across sectors and industries who believe in the ability of finance to lead change. Participants must not be older than 35 years old and must be prepared for active involvement in facilitating the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. They must also fit into either of the following groups:
- A qualified finance professional working in the private sector, public sector, education, corporates and own business.
- Have a strong interest in using finance and business solutions to tackle world issues.
The Purpose of FinBiz 2030 Events and Regional Task Forces
- The desired outcome of the event is to provide a platform for young leaders across industries to learn, share experience and discuss the key challenges and opportunities for the finance & business community to tackle the SDGs and to identify participants who will commit to be advocates for Finance & Business 2030 in the long term and implement positive change.
- Following the launch event, the aim is to form regional task forces of committed individuals to identify key priorities in each market, develop and implement an action plan with measurable objectives and engage with the wider finance and business community to ensure good progress and drive advocacy.
Setting up a FinBiz2030 Event
- Determine which SDGs the topic will focus on. You can see topics from previous FinBiz events here. It is really critical to establish clear parameters for the event to derive the greatest value out of the day.
- Secure senior stakeholders as speakers for the event.
- Secure young keynote speakers who can demonstrate positive change.
- Secure your venue & establish capacity, catering, logistics, etc. Venues play a huge role in drawing attendees - the more prestigious, the better.
- Secure an MC who can host the event. This person needs to be engaging, dynamic, adaptable - we recommend a journalist, a successful finance leader, a successful business leader or a OYW Ambassador.
Branded Event Assets
- OYW has a standard template for FinBiz2030 events. The OYW team will design this. Please provide the OYW any / all logos needed for the design.
- There are also branded templates, which can be tailored slightly to help you promote the event including email invitation, press release, social media promotional banner and PowerPoint template. Please note that all branded materials need to be reviewed and approved by CAW and OYW.
- More information about branding can be found below.
- The initial invitation is of course critical. You can see a sample invitation from the Johannesburg event here.
- OYW & CAW can host event registration on its website. We are also happy to work with a host's preferred registration system.
- OYW & CAW can create assets for social media promotion.
- OYW & CAW can promote the event on core channels: Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Instagram & via newsletter.
- We ask that the hosting partner also promotes heavily to its stakeholders to drive momentum.
Recommended communications timeline
- Event promotion should begin minimum of 8 weeks before event.
- Registered attendee check in 4 weeks before event (including agenda & speaker updates).
- Registered attendee check in 1.5 weeks ahead of event.
- Close event registration 1 week before event.
- Registered attendee check in 2 days before event.
- Post-event thank you email & survey sent day 1-2 days after the event. We recommend sharing posts & photos about event. View sample survey here.
Invitation management - what you can do:
- Target several organisations and offer them a set number of places at the event. It can be at their discretion to invite their top talent. Example: CAW invited each member body to nominate 5-10 attendees.
- OYW also targets its OYW Ambassador community based in the relevant city. Depending on the community size, between 20 - 40 places can be set aside for OYW registrations.
- Depending on whether you want to cap the number of attendees, you can do internal promotion only, as opposed to external communications.
- If you wish to do external communications, OYW can manage and vet registrations coming through via the event page.
The key is to attract the most talented, engaged young professionals who will ensure there is continuity post event.
OYW usually handles live event coverage on Twitter & Instagram stories. Content is also promoted on Linkedin & Facebook.
It is recommended that the host secure a photographer & videographer (budget permitting) to produce content for post-event distribution.
The only hashtag we use: #FinBiz2030
- OYW logo: blue & white
- CAW logo
- FinBiz2030 standard logo
- FinBiz2030 standard logo (transparent)
- FinBiz2030: w/ OYW & CAW logos
- FinBiz2030: w/ OYW & CAW logos (transparent)
- FinBiz2030: w/ OYW & CAW logos (transparent) - PSD
- FinBiz2030 UK Task Force Logo
- FinBiz2030 South Africa Task Force Logo
- FinBiz2030 Ireland Task Force Logo
- Blue shade 1: #E9F8FE
- Blue shade 2: #00AED8
UK Task Force
- Co-Chair: Emma Bell. RCapital
- Co-Chair: Jolyon Layard Horsfall. Grant Thronton
- 10 other members representing Barclays, JP Morgan, NIBC, Standard Chartered among others.
- Advocacy for the SDGs
- Push for change within companies
- Lobby for industry-wide change
The group are tracking their progress in a live workbook (this is just a sample).
Slide decks from the first 2 meetings
South African Task Force
- Co-chair: Lyle Malander, Malander Group.
- Co-chair: Mandy Muchnick, One Young World.
- Over 30 other members representing Deloitte, Investec and Phatisa, among others.
- Goal 13- Climate Action
- Goal 10- Reduced
- Goal 8- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Goal 4- Quality Education
Progress is tracked through quarterly reports. See here for their template.
FROM RESCUE TO RECOVERY: A call to action to build back a decarbonised South Africa.
If others are interested in FinBiz2030, here's how they can get involved:
- Spread the word – Raise awareness of SDGs through your social networks by telling your friends and people in your organisation about the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Sign up to our monthly FinBiz2030 newsletter
- Use the film Our Planet: Our Business to drive awareness among key stakeholders in your company.
- Consider applying to attend the One Young World Summit.
- Join or launch a regional Task Force
- Follow us on social media #FinBiz2030.
- Contact us on email@example.com
- Contact the Task Force's directly: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous event locations:
- London: 2 April 2019, Mansion House. Read more
- Johannesburg: 6 February 2020, Investec. In partnership with SAICA. Read more
FinBiz2030 speakers to date:
- Kate Robertson. Co-Founder, One Young World
- Michael Izza. Chairman, Chartered Accountants Worldwide
- Rt. Hon. Lord Mayor Peter Estlin. City of London
- Luke Davies. VP, Group CEO Office, Barclays & OYW Ambassador
- Daniel Yates. Executive Director, Corporate & Investment Bank, JP Morgan & OYW Ambassador
- Shirley Mashaba. CEO, PwC South Africa
- Freeman Nomvalo. CEO, SAICA
- Tanya dos Santos. Head of Sustainability, Investec
- Andile Khumalo. CEO, Kumalo.co
- Tracey Davies. Executive Director, Just Share
- Chantyl Mulder. Executive Director: Nation Building, SAICA
- Ruth Hidalgo. Head of Operations, Chartered Accountants Worldwide
- Lyle Malander. Director, Malander Group & OYW Ambassador
- Dr. Tashmia Ismail-Saville. CEO, Yes4Youth
- Sizwe Nxasana. Founder, Future Nation Schools
Key quotes about FinBiz2030
Peter Estlin, Lord Mayor of the City of London - 2019: “Achieving the 2030 SGDs has to be a global priority. The finance and business community here in the City are uniquely positioned to play a crucial role in accomplishing this. Now, more than ever, we need innovative ideas that draw on the expertise of UK business, so it is essential that we can come together. I am therefore delighted that events such as this are delivering a platform for bright young professionals from various sectors to unite and exchange ideas."
Kate Robertson. Co-Founder - 2019: “The inaugural meeting for FinBiz2030 is potentially the start of one of the best things the OYW community has done. We had representation from all the major UK banks, firms of accountants and businesses large and small with international delegates working across a whole range of sectors. This coming together of the brightest talent from across finance and business can only be the start of a powerful group of young leaders who will have the ability to affect policy both in government and in their workplaces. I thought it was a brilliantly organised event that showed both from the City of London and Chartered Accountants Worldwide how much they value this young talent, how much they respect it and how much they expect from it”.
Freeman Nomvalo. CEO, SAICA - 2020: “If ever there was a compelling need for responsible leadership in South Africa it is now. South Africa needs to grow its economy to meet the needs of her people. Such growth, however, should not be at the expense of future generations. It is thus appropriate for SAICA in partnership with OYW and CAW to host the launch of FinBiz2030. The telling feature of this engagement is that it brings together young South Africans to deliberate on the SDGs and chart the way forward. Amongst these SDGs, the focus for FinBiz2030 in South Africa is climate change, reducing inequality, decent work and economic growth, as well as quality education. We are grateful to Investec for sponsoring the event."
Michael Izza. Chairman, Chartered Accountants Worldwide - 2020: “The world is changing and the global financial and business community has a great opportunity to play a major role in meeting the economic and social needs of future generations. Following the successful launch of FinBiz2030 in London last year, I am delighted that Chartered Accountants Worldwide, in partnership with the inspirational One Young World and one of our key member institutes, SAICA, are hosting an inaugural FinBiz2030 event in Johannesburg that aims to harness the brightest minds and talents in our industry to drive forward the initiatives to tackle the priorities for South Africa. It is our responsibility to ensure changes are made now to secure the future for generations to come.”