George Washington was the first president of U.S.A., he were in 1789 the first president of the U.S.A. Martha Dandridge Custis Washington was his wife. He were born on the 22th of February in 1732. John Adams was his successor and he was his Vice President.
The White House
The White house is a very big villa. It’s printed on a $20 bill. The president of the US lives here. That’s why it’s very highly secured. It’s located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C. 20006. The entire complex covers more than 5,100m² of floor space. The White House has 6 floors, some are underground. The White House has 132 rooms. The White House has 412 doors. Guest Can use 35 bathrooms. There are eight available staircases. The White House has also three lifts for those who can not use the staircases, there are 28 fireplaces in the White House. There is a bowling alley, a tennis track and a running track. The White House has his own swimming pool and a cinema to use.
The White House Complex is protected by the United States Secret Service and the United States Park Police N.A.S.A.M.S. (Norwegian Advanced Surface to Air Missile System) were used to guard airspace over Washington D.C. during the 2005 presidential inauguration.
Other Presidential Mansions
There were 5 other houses before the white house:
1. The Samuel Osgood House: Location: Manhattan, New York
2. The Alexander Macomb House: Location: Manhattan, New York
3. The President’s house: Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4. The Government House: Location: Manhattan, New York
5. The House Intended for the President: Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Origin of the Name
First the White House was called the Executive Mansion but James Madison, former president of the US signed the declaration of war with Great Britain. When the British occupied Washington, they set the presidential house on fire. The damage was cleared under a thick layer of white paint. That’s why the White House is called the White House.
The White House is build right after the creation of the District of Columbia, the D.C. from Washington D.C. means the District of Columbia. The former president, George Washington (which Bob told about) pointed out the place where the White House had to be build. The Irishman James Hoban got after a competition of 9 other people the assignment to build it. It costed 8 years to build and $2,4 million. Until the late 20’s it was open for public but when 20.000 civilians celebrated the inauguration of the new president inside the White House. The rules have become more strict.
- Slaves were used to build the White House in Pennsylvania.
- Every year with Thanksgiving the president gets to choose one turkey to not get eaten.
- With Halloween the White House also gets decorated.
- There is a Holiday for the first president of America named President’s day.
- With Christmas the White House gets decorated and they get a large Christmas tree.
- The Vice President also gets a big house named: Number One Observatory Circle.
- In 1901 it’s official named the White House.
- There should be patched 147 windows.
- The construction of the White House has lasted 8 years.
By Lucas van Meurs and Bob Biemans.