- As busy people, convenience food influences their meal choices. 40% often buy pre-prepared meals.
- They are considerably more likely than older generations to prefer to snack during the day (44%) rather than eat full meals at set times.
- Health is more likely defined by food types, such Free-From, Plant-based eating, and Superfoods, rather than low fat or low sugar, with active checking for gluten-free (15%), dairy-free (9%) and vegan (8%) products.
35-54 year olds
- They are least in agreement (47%) with the introduction of the Sugar Tax which came into force in April 2018.
- Most likely to believe healthy eating is more expensive (74%) than eating 'unhealthy' foods.
- Least likely to be avoiding any specific food types, and most likely (64%) to enjoy treating themselves to foods that aren't good for them.
- Most focused on checking for no artificials, and show least interest in food trends. At least 1 in 3 actively check for artificial preservatives, colours, or flavours when buying food and drink.
- 49% stick to their traditional behaviours and 3 meals a day, no snacking.
- Have the time, inclination and affordability to cook from scratch. Almost three quarters prefer to buy fresh ingredients and prepare meals themselves.