What's going on?
- We still have to have a lockdown drill and severe weather drill this semester. As it stands now we will have a lockdown drill scheduled for Thursday February 9th – Time TBA. Please talk to all of your classes about what to do in the event of an active shooter in the building and what lockdown means. If you would like Deputy Toth to come speak to your classes prior to the drill I am sure he would love to come by.
- Severe Weather drill will be in March but you may want to cover that with your classes as well.
- All procedures can be found on Live Binder in our Crisis Response Plan starting on page 14.
Healthy Recipe of the Month
GREEN SMOOTHIE 101: HOW TO MAKE A GREEN SMOOTHIE
WHAT THE HECK IS IN THERE?!
That’s always one of the first questions we get when we’re sharing how to make a green smoothie — and its a good one! Well, it’s a pretty simple (and tasty) combo: leafy greens + fruit + liquid-base … and maybe some fancy superfood toppings. It may seem like a crazy diet fad, but honestly once you try a green smoothie, you’ll most likely become insanely addicted (like us)! And there is nothing better than downing 2 cups of spinach a day in a delightful fashion.
And if you want to get all scientific, dark leafy greens contain: high-quality amino acids, important minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and beneficial phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are plant-based chemicals that support your immune system, improve health and longevity, and may reduce life- threatening diseases. I know that’s a mouthful, so that’s why when you hang out with us, we try to keep the green smoothie lifestyle simple and fun. I think we can both agree fruits and vegetables are good for you.
Berry Blast Spinach Smoothie
- 1 cup strawberry low-fat yogurt
- 1 large banana sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach with stems removed
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- Blend until smooth
- Servings: 2 Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
5 REASONS WE LOVE GREEN SMOOTHIES
- Natural energy booster to keep a little pep in your step in the morning (and during those afternoon slumps).
- Natural weight loss can be a happy side effect of gulping these in place of a typical breakfast (just make sure to include healthy fats and protein to make it a more complete meal).
- Stay healthy all-year-long. Simple way to boost your immune system when you’re feeling under the weather.
- Packed with disease-fighting antioxidants. The phytonutrients in leafy greens boost your body’s immune system and keep it functioning properly.
- Hands down— The best fast food. It takes less than 5 minutes to make a green smoothie (and clean up!) and they’re super easy to take on the go– especially when you prep ahead.