Scroll down to see our students and staff in action This Week in Our Schools!
Featured this week:
- District-Wide Students: 4th-7th Grade G/T Putnam Girls in Engineering Day!
- Colorado Elementary: Mrs. Smith's 2nd Grade Class.
- Colorado Elementary: Mrs. Yahn's 3rd Grade Class.
- Franklin Elementary: Science Night!
- Franklin Elementary: Spring Picture Day.
- Grant Elementary: Mrs. Dusenberry's 1st Grade Class.
- Jefferson Elementary: Read Across America Day!
- Madison Elementary: Quad Cities Visiting Artist.
- McKinley Elementary: Ms. DeVrieze's 4th Grade Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Mrs. Steele's 5th Grade Math Class.
- Mulberry Elementary: Mrs. Evans' Kindergarten Class.
- Central Middle School: Regional Math Counts Contest!
- West Middle School: WMS Anime/Manges Club and MHS Anime Club.
- Muscatine High School: FFA Week!
- Muscatine High School: Mrs. Edkin's 5th Hour Phys Ed Class.
- Muscatine High School: River City Rhythm Varsity Show Choir.
- Muscatine High School: Orchestra.
- Muscatine High School: Jazz Band and Jazz Ensemble.
- Muscatine High School: Mrs. Joslyn's Physics I Class.
- District-Wide Staff: Mr. Edkin Meets a New Kid.
- District-Wide Staff: WMS Teachers Participate in a Book Battle.
Fourth through seventh grade girls in the GT program attended the Putnam Museum's "Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day" on Thursday, February 23. Engineering students from Western Illinois University led the girls in two hands-on engineering projects: building a paper tower that could sustain gusts of wind and building a card tower that could support the greatest load of pennies and paper clips. Students also had the opportunity to explore the Putnam's exhibits and watch the movie Dream Big which highlights the positive safety impact that engineers can have around world. Hopefully we have inspired some future engineers!
Mrs. Smith's 2nd Graders performed "Dance Me a Story." The story, The Heart of A Hero, isis a from the district's curriculum: Journey's..
Students in Mrs. Yahn's 3rd Grade Class read with the one they love!
Last night was Science Night at Franklin. Students had the opportunity to visit 15 different stations. Circuits, fingerprinting, tangrams, chromatography, surface tension, and magnets were some of the fun activities students participated in. We had a great turnout and students had a great time. This was the first time Franklin has had a science night, and it won't be the last.
Spring Picture Day was happening district-wide this week and last. Below is a Franklin student getting is best "look" on!
Mrs. Dusenberry's 1st grade students and families are seen here Sharpening their Saws (Habit 7), Being Proactive ( Habit 1) and Synergizing (Habit 6) in our school and community! Even their pets LOVE to use the 7 HABITS!!
Students at Jefferson Elementary participated in Read Across America Day in honor of Dr. Suess' birthday. Below is a picture of English Learning classroom doors as part of a door decorating contest that took place.
Madison Elementary students were excited to be invited to to participate multicultural music provided through the Quad Cities Arts.
Here are some pictures of Ms. DeVrieze's fourth grade students at McKinley! This was the first week that we fully implemented flexible seating. We have exercise balls, wobbly cushions, bean bags, and "kneelers". We are excited to get this adventure started and I can't wait to see how much learning improves!
We also got the opportunity to go to the Quad City symphony on Tuesday. The students really enjoyed this experience and loved the music. The performers were so great!
This week in Mrs. Steele's 5th grade math class, students worked through challenging real world problems. They then did a "gallery walk" to reflect, compare ideas, and practice metacognition. Here are some students demonstrating "private reasoning time," some sample works, and the gallery walk.
Kindergarteners in Mrs. Evans' class earned 5 class tickets and wanted to eat lunch in our room. What fun!
CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Central Middle School students participated in the regional MathCounts competition at Stanley Consultants today! The Central team took first place in the team event and advances to State in March. Congratulations to all who competed. Thank you Stanley's for hosting this amazing event!
WEST MIDDLE SCHOOL
On February 4th, the WMS Anime/Manges Club and MHS Anime Club went to Comic Con Cedar Rapids for a joint field trip. Teachers that oversee the club are Brianna Hogenson and Andrea Wilford.
MUSCATINE HIGH SCHOOL
Great way to kick off FFA Week with Muscatine results from Sub-Districts:
- Radio Broadcasting - Nolan Osland- gold, advance to districts;
- Prepared Public Speaking - Sarah Mckillip- gold, advance to districts;
- Extemporaneous Speaking - Kyle Tomlin- gold, advance to districts;
- Sales - Joel Kemper- silver, alternate to districts;
- Welders - Jacob Miller & Tanner Gerard- ;advance to districts;
- Parli Pro - Ryan Calvert, Summer Neece, Taylor Crane, Kelsey Holladay, Deja Carter- Silver, advance to districts;
- Job Interview - Lexy Donath-Silver, alternate to districts;
- Creed - Ximena Bernhardt- Gold, advance to districts;
- Conduct of Meetings - Andrew Van Nice, Abbie Enriquez, Alex Sotelo, Hope Reichert, Simon Reichert, Ali Youngbauer, Hannah Spies.- Silver.
5th hour students in Mrs. Edkin's P.E. class took advantage of the beautiful weather on Wednesday doing Tai-Chi with Caleen Pagel outdoors!
Muscatine High School's varsity show choir, River City Rhythm, just competed in Waconia, MN. They exceeded expectations and ended up placing fourth runner-up in a very difficult field. The following day was spent celebrating at the Mall of America.
The MHS Orchestras were visited by Joshua Reznicow on Tuesday, Feb. 21st. Mr. Reznicow composed a piece for the MHS Chamber Orchestra, and was coming in to give thoughts and encouragement before the premiere of the piece. He also worked with the freshman orchestra, who are performing another piece of his next week. The MHS Chamber orchestra will be premiering Mr. Reznicow's piece on Friday, Feb. 24th, at 7:00pm at MHS.
MHS Jazz Band and Jazz Ensemble performed at Coe College in Cedar Rapids Last night.