Q1: What should the employee have done differently?
- The employee was dispatched a new position in Muslim North African country which is mainly Arabic-speaking. She prepared all things and only was interested in oil partnership deal. However, she met some problems when she travelled to the country.
1. She has been warned by US ambassador that her appointment widely recognized and it was not a positive job.
2. The employee has met with new oil minister that he cannot realize previous promises for her organizations.
Thus, it was a big challenge for the employee to handle relations with the government.
3. The employee met with local staffs to get more information about local operations. However, these staffs cannot speak English and unknown oil industry. They are all relatives of government.
4. The employee found that nobody cloud speak English, even small children, English-speaking nannies and teachers. She also cannot obtain help from her husband because he did not contract with the government.
1. She cloud apply for legal assistance from home country
2. She cloud renegotiate with oil minister
3. She can use the Internet to contact with company and seek help. For example, using video call translates English to Arabic that make staffs understand.
Q2: What should HR have done to help?
- (1) -No working oversea experience.
- -New location for the organisation.(predominantly Arabic-speaking and Muslim North African country.)
- -Language Training and Culture Training.
- -Provide local representative / interpreter translator.
(2)The government do not approve her husband’s Entry Visa
Solution:Provide the Visa information.
(3)The local employees cannot speak English and no one had any expertise in the oil industry.
- Solution:-Dismiss the employees
- -Training the employees.
Q3: What policies, steps, and practices should have been in place to inform, educate and assist the employee before accepting the position?
1. Company is giving some training and development or knowledge of relevant host country to the employee. Employee can make a decision of how to arrange his life.
2. -The training is about to understand the local political situation, the local employment law, the local economic health and cultural environment.
-helps the employee have a full understanding of the foreign situation and have one intuitive analysis method about it.
3.Company should test the employee if he has the competence to select or recruit the right employees to work for him.
4. Figure out the pay and reward method. If one don’t know about various national pay and reward structures, he may have less pay than initial one. 6. The parent company should have a great communication with employees in order to get the best performance of the subsidiaries.
5. The consultative procedures need to be adapted to the subsidiaries.
Q4: In your view, was this the right kind of appointment for her?
Answer: Not the right kind of appointment
- For Business:
- Political : the formula for the royalties split was being amended
-That is a Political fluctuation, also is A tough challenge for employee corporate with the local government
- Social : a couple of locally recruited staff, who not on can speak English and known any expertise in the oil industry
- Government was not granting entry visas for her husband.
- School was not providing English- even French
- Parent organization need to support the employee in expertise e.g. Who can speak English and have expertise in the oil industry.
- Parent organizations could hire some translators for employee.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING