Glossary of frequently used terms
- (B): The (B) after an item’s title means that there are supporting materials, called Backup.
- (NB): The (NB) after an item’s title means that there are no supporting materials i.e no Backup.
- 1st Reading: Indicates that this is the first time that the ordinance is being read for public notice. The law requires that an ordinance be read twice for public notice before the Commission votes on it.
- 2nd Reading: Indicates that this is the second time that the ordinance is being read for public notice. As per law the Commission can vote on an ordinance after it has been read twice for public notice.
- Adjournment: A motion by the City Commission to officially close a meeting.
- Business Discussion Items: Business Discussion Items are each considered and voted upon by the Commission. The Commission may choose to hear items not on the agenda at any time during the meeting.
- Commission Comment: An opportunity for the City Commission members to raise topics or questions for discussion by the full body.
- Consent Agenda: These items are not expected to require review or discussion at this meeting. The Commission will vote on all items in one motion, though they may decide to move an item to the Regular Agenda if further consideration or discussion is needed.
- Early Public Comment: If a person cannot wait for an agenda item to be heard, they may speak during Early Public Comment at the beginning of the meeting. Speakers may have the customary three (3) minutes to speak to one agenda item, or a total of five (5) minutes to speak to multiple items. Speakers at Early Public Comment waive their time to speak later in the meeting.
- General Policy Committee (GPC): Regular meetings of the City Commission to discuss referrals made during the regularly scheduled City Commission meetings.
- General Public Comment: Three General Public Comment periods are available during each regular Commission meeting. Members of the public may speak about any topic except items scheduled elsewhere on the agenda. Each person may speak during one comment period: At the start of the 1pm agenda, at the start of the 5:30pm agenda, or at the end of the meeting. The Commission will not discuss or make decisions on items presented during this time. Comments may be referred to City staff for follow up.
- Meeting Agenda: The agenda is the schedule of business items before the City Commission for action.
- Motion: A proposal at a meeting that certain action be taken or certain views about a subject be expressed by the assembly (or Commission).
- Ordinance: Municipal law that can be amended or repealed by adoption of another ordinance.
- Public Comment on Agenda Items: The Commission may request public comment on specific agenda items during discussion. Comments must stay focused on the agenda topic at hand.
- Resolution: An expression of a governing body concerning matters of administration, an expression of a temporary character, or a provision for the disposition of a particular item of the administrative business of the governing body.
- Referred to GPC: When items are referred to GPC it means they will be scheduled for further discussion during a work session of the General Policy Committee. The Commission customarily sits as the General Policy Committee on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month. (They sit as the City Commission on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month).
- Sunshine Law: Refers to the ‘Government in the Sunshine Act’. This open government law dictates how meetings and other activities must be open and available to the public.
Are we missing anything? Help us build this list. Let us know if we are missing any terms.
Other useful resources