Create a linocut plate and 10+ prints that demonstrate understanding of texture, pattern, proportion,balance, emphasis and observational drawing.
- Must save and use resource photos.
- Must choose an animal, insect or a plant on the endangered species list.
- Lines/shape must extend off the page on 3-4 sides.
- Must have overlapping shapes.
- Must have a variety of line work (thick, thin, continuous, etc.)
- Background must be filled with 1 uniform texture
For my subject I chose the vaquita. The vaquita (Phocoena sinus) is a small porpoise native to the northern part of the Gulf of California. It's about 5 ft long, and weighs up to 120 lbs. This little porpoise is classified as Critically Endangered, as there are estimated to be only 30 vaquitas left in the entire world. It could become extinct as early as 2018 if drastic measures aren't taken to protect it.
To learn more about the vaquita, or to find out how you can help, visit this website.