What are some community resources?
There are many community resources and programs dedicated to stroke prevention and care. Many of these resources can be found by clicking the button below or going to: https://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/evaluation_resources.htm
Post Test: Use the content provided to answer these questions again and test your new knowledge!
- Which of the following is a risk factor for a stroke? A) Low sodium diet B) Moderate exercise C) Low blood pressure D) Tobacco use
- Which of the following is NOT a sign of stroke? A) trouble speaking B) loose/relaxed muscles C) drooping on one side of the fece D) numbness or tingling in limbs
- What does FAST stand for regarding strokes? A) Feet, Asymmetry, Stance, Time to call 911 B) Face drooping, Arm weakness, Spastic movements, Tired C) Face Drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulty, Time to call 911
- Which of the following is true about stroke prevention? A) You should use extra salt during meals B) You should quit smoking C) You should avoid blood pressure medications D) There is nothing you can do to prevent a stroke
- True or False: Age is the most important risk factor for stroke. A) True B) False
Answers: 1. D) Tobacco use 2. B) loose/relaxed muscles 3. C) Face Drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulty, Time to call 911 4. B) You should quit smoking 5. A) True
Ritchey, M. D., P.T., Wall, H. K., M.P.H., Gillespie, C., M.S., George, M. G., M.D., & Jamal, A., M.B.B.S. (2014). Million hearts: Prevalence of leading cardiovascular disease risk factors - united states, 2005-2012. (). Atlanta: U.S. Center for Disease Control. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.proxy.libraries.uc.edu/docview/1535124371?accountid=2909
Michael, K. M., & Shaughnessy, M. (2006). Stroke Prevention and Management in Older Adults. The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing,21. doi:10.1097/00005082-200609001-00006. Retrieved from http://uc.summon.serialssolutions.com/search?q=stroke+prevention+older+adults&x=0&y=0#!/search?ho=t&l=en&q=stroke%20prevention%20older%20adults&x=0&y=0
The CDC. (2017, March 01). Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention. Retrieved March 07, 2017, from https://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/index.htm