This "Journal" will document travels through this phase of the adventure. The first assignment requested a "...no more than 20 second personal introduction video using a smart phone camera." I don't have that kind of phone so I used my web cam. I edited and compressed the piece for posting on Vimeo with a third party (not Adobe or other well known brand) application. The main difference I can see between the selection of "good" and "best" for compression (export) is the file size. For the applications best (highest) the file weighs in right at 82 Megabytes and for good (lowest) it is 10.8 MB. I posted the 10 megabyte movie.
Maybe there is a determinable difference in quality to the trained eye between 82 to 10 MB, but I sure do not see it.
The following button is an active direct link to that video posted on Vimeo.
The class 1 assignment is to...
"...create a short montage video sequence using still images based on a single color - ensure you have a variety of images. Arrange the images in your timeline in order of least intense to more intense representation of the theme color. Trim your clips so that the cuts are faster (ie. shots are shorter) as the color intensifies. Try and make the exported video 15 seconds exactly."
I searched with a general idea (theme) in mind and downloaded multiple videos. The concept being to go from XLS (extreme Long Shot) - Planet Earth to Arial Cities with a truck in to CU (close ups) of pedestrians with an industrial montage interlude and then to pull back out to Planet Earth, etc.... I reviewed all of the videos multiple times in Bridge (filmstrip profile) for basic cuts and story-line. I wrote a quick narrative and recorded multiple takes in Audition until it hit right on 20 seconds.
The script - narrative draft
We're all in this together
ask a neighbor
Where are we going
ask a neighbor
How did we get this far and where do we go from here? Ask a neighbor.
Because there has never been a time when the neighborhood was tighter and we do have more than enough tools to make it all turn out OK.
We are all in this together,
Where are we going ? How is it going to turn out?
We can just ask a neighbour
The rough visuals (cuts) edit in Premiere was right at 66 seconds, well over what is needed. Jevon O'Neill in the online - live class suggested using longer than needed cuts as an initial method of rough assembly. I then brought the 20 second audio sequence in and trimmed, cut, used clip time/duration to speed up and in one instance reversed a clip, and layered the visual sequences until they hit the 20 second mark.
The initial concept was simply to use "found video" to learn basic video editing of various shots. This final draft has pretty much turned out to be a blurp blip blur, but hey; that's life sometimes.
Maybe I can work out a bit more definition and a more meaningful pace with more and more hours of work on it, but right now I got to get onto to the next module in this course.
The video (thus far) can be played by clicking the button directly below;
In setting up the different shots and attempting to pull off an entertaining scenario, I started out with "Adobe Story CC". This is another amazing and powerful CC tool that I have a lot to learn about. When set-up properly, any changes made to scenes, shooting scripts, characters, props, locations etc by anyone authorized to work on the script are automatically propagated across the reports and logs . I simply used the 'three panel' template to set up a story board with stills from the webcam I would be shooting the video with.
Then I set up this camera angle and basic shooting script in Fireworks CS6 as follows directly below.
The prior to shoot checks and after shoot notes and stuff are to the immediate right. Dropped a lot of shots in the final edit (par for the course) and was not able to squeeze the time enough to employee some of the more fluid intermediate or transitional shots I set up.
This is my quick and dirty "Shoot Sheet" and the before and after scribble up. Even with all of this set-up and notes to self, I still managed to frame three consecutive (MS, MCU, and XCU) to the wrong side of the frame. Caught the error while reviewing shots in Bridge and did a re-shoot the next day.
Even with my technical shortcomings (Chroma Key etc) I believe the gist of the assignment was met. I will clean it up and maybe add a musical bed, but as stated previously, that's another story for another day
For your viewing pleasure please click the following button for my 30 (+2) second offering of the