Yesterday was the YMA awards and if you haven't seen the winners yet, hold onto your socks. The winners and runners up will also soon be added to the Salon Site.
The winners are...
Randolph Caldecott Medal:
John Newbery Medal:
Library Moon Walk
Quiver Augmented Reality Coloring Sheets
Grab your crayons and colored pencils and phone or tablet. Quiver is an augmented reality coloring app.
BOOKFLIX LIBRARY DISPLAYS ARE A WONDERFUL THING
Tips for making your website more accessible for the visually impaired
Optimize your images using strong alt text descriptions
Here are a few tips to writing a good alt text description:
- Be accurate and present the content and function of the image.
- Be concise. Generally no more than a few words are needed.
- Avoid redundancies, do not provide information already present in the surrounding text.
- Do not use the phrases “image of …” or “graphic of…” in your alt text description.
- When the image is only text, the text within the image can serve as the alt text.
- If the image is functional, for example, the image is a link to something else, include that in the alt text.
Optimize and create friendly URLs, image titles and file names
Your file name will help search engines and screen readers understand what the image is and if it’s relevant. Before you upload the image to your CMS, make sure the file name is simple and describes the subject matter of the media, and use it as an opportunity to include target keywords if appropriate.
Here are two examples of file names, which one is more understandable?
YSS Spring Conference
Friday April 26th @ the Double Tree Inn, Terrytown.
If you'd like to attend but aren't sure you can afford to go think about the NEW–2019 Continuing Education Challenge Grant
SALS will offer ten Continuing Education Challenge Grants of up to $1,000 per library
- March 29, 2019
- June 28, 2019
- September 27, 2019
Be sure to submit before the March 29th deadline
Sora is the new reading app for students by Overdrive. As of October Sora became available to students in Washington, Saratoga, Warren, Hamiltion, and Essex counties.
School librarians have been training their students on how to use Sora.
What does this means for us?
Students can add their public library card to the app and search their local public library.
The school librarians I spoke with have all been asking students to bring in their public library card, if they have one, and they are helping them add it to their Sora account.
The app looks to be seriously popular. The circulation of Juvenile ebooks and audio at schools has jumped by over 2,000 checkouts at the schools overdrive site since the app was released.
If you don't know about it--then it's new to you. The SALS calendar has been updated and includes upcoming events at SALS and free webinars.
The calendar can be found:
- under the Members & Staff Menu
- along the right side of SALS blog is a short list of upcoming events and free webinars