History A LEVEL

“A-Level History is well respected by higher education establishments and various professions”

Course Detail

A-Level History is well respected by higher education establishments and various professions. During this course, you will study no less than 200 years of British and world history. You will learn about the reigns of the last three Russian Tsars and the downfall of Nicholas II. As well as study the causes and consequences of the worlds first Communist Revolution and the dictatorships of Lenin and Stalin. In the second unit of the course, you will get the chance to look at political, economic and social British history, from the rule of Prime Ministers such as Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair, to the fashion, music and subcultures of the time. Domestic issues such as Northern Ireland and foreign policy surrounding the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will also be studied. This unit will allow you to really understand what shapes the Britain we live in today. The third and final unit for the A-Level is a Historical Investigation which will allow you to choose a debate from the Tudor period to investigate and evaluate.

History is a popular subject to combine with English, social science subjects, other humanities subjects and languages. Students in the past have also studied history alongside maths and science subjects which has proved popular with universities upon application to a variety of courses.

How will I be assessed?

At the end of Year 12 you will be assessed on Tsarist and Communist Russia and on the making of Modern Britain through two written examinations. Your result from these examinations will form your AS grade.

At the end of Year 13 you will have two further written examinations on Tsarist and Communist Russia and on the making of Modern Britain, each lasting 2.5 hours which will contribute 80% of your final A-Level grade. A 3,000 word essay on Tudor Britain will form the remaining 20% of your final A-Level grade.

Additional Entry Requirements

  • GCSE History: 5
  • GCSE English: 5
  • GCSE Maths: 4

These requirements are in addition to the general entry requirements.

All A-Level courses are two year courses. You will sit the AS exams at the end of Year 12 and the A-Level exams at the end of Year 13. Although the AS grade will not count towards your final A-Level grade, you will need at least a grade D at AS to succeed on this course in Year 13.

Where can this course take me?

In addition to history related courses at degree level, history is the number one subject option for those students who wish to pursue a career in Law. The skills that students develop through A-Level history are key in other professions such as journalism, politics, civil service and the public sector (e.g. teaching and the police force). History is a highly respected traditional subject at both A-Level and degree by many different employers.