SOIL AND WATER MANAGEMENT
KEY FEATURES FOR 'WATER MANAGEMENT FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE'
- Comprehensive review of the range of water resources, from groundwater and surface water to rainwater, floodwater and waste water
- Discusses advances in irrigation techniques, from surface irrigation and sprinkler systems to micro/drip irrigation and fertigation
- Assesses methods for optimising agricultural water use in rainfed and other systems
VIDEO OVERVIEWS OF OUR SOIL HEALTH TITLES...
CROP PESTS AND DISEASES
KEY FEATURES FOR INTEGRATED DISEASE MANAGEMENT OF WHEAT AND BARLEY
- Reviews key recent research on the main fungal diseases, their modes of infection and potential strategies for dealing with them
- Summarises the range of techniques for breeding more resistant varieties
- Assesses ways to manage fungicide resistance and the range of methods in developing integrated disease management of cereals
FIND OUT WHAT AGROECOLOGY AND SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS SAID ABOUT OUR TITLE, INTEGRATED WEED MANAGEMENT FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE...
"This is an excellent overview of the latest thinking in weed management, with chapters written by some of the most prominent authorities conducting research today… the book is a valuable addition to the literature, and one that will be widely used as a key reference".
Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
SEE WHAT EMERITUS PROF. RALPH EARLY SAID ABOUT OUR TITLE 'PESTICIDES AND AGRICULTURE'...
"…a fascinating and absorbing read…this book will find a readership that extends well beyond those specifically in agriculture. Pesticides and agriculture will be of immediate interest to anyone involved in production agriculture, agricultural education or agricultural research…Beyond this readership, the book should also be of interest to those who work in sectors allied to or associated with agriculture, such as horticulture, agricultural engineering and environmental sciences, as well as educated lay readers and policy makers…As a window into the history and development of the agricultural pesticides industry, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It has been a joy to review."
Food Science and Technology – the journal of the Institute of Food Science and Technology; review by Emeritus Professor Ralph Early, Harper Adams University, UK
CROP MANAGEMENT, SUSTAINABILITY AND ORGANIC
KEY FEATURES FOR 'PRECISION AGRICULTURE FOR SUSTAINABILITY'
- Comprehensive review of key technologies in precision agriculture, from proximal and remote sensing to decision support systems and variable rate technologies
- Surveys key applications of precision agriculture from controlled traffic farming to site-specific nutrient and water management
- Includes discussion of the economics of precision agriculture
VIDEO OVERVIEW OF 'IMPROVING ORGANIC CROP CULTIVATION'...
VIDEO OVERVIEW OF 'ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION OF BANANAS, VOLUME 1...
FIND OUT WHAT CHRONICA HORTICULTURAE IS SAYING ABOUT OUR MANGOES TITLE...
“The book provides an excellent overview of mango cultivation across the world… a comprehensive foundation of knowledge on which future research strategies can be built.”
VIDEO OVERVIEW OF 'ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION OF COCOA'...
KEY FEATURES OF 'SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION OF COFFEE'
- Covers recent research on coffee genetics, physiology and genetic diversity
- Reviews the latest developments in breeding new varieties
- Assesses advances in measuring and understanding the chemical composition, sensory and nutraceutical properties of coffee
VIDEO OVERVIEW OF 'GLOBAL TEA SCIENCE'...
KEY FEATURES OF 'ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION OF SUGARCANE'
- Provides a comprehensive review of best practice in sugarcane cultivation across the value chain from planting through to post-harvest operations
- Reviews use of sugarcane for bioenergy and other applications, and assesses the environmental impact of sugarcane cultivation
- Covers key advances in breeding, including conventional, marker-assisted and transgenic breeding techniques
- Summarises key advances in understanding bacterial, fungal and viral diseases of sugarcane as well as best practice in integrated disease, pest and weed management
ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION OF POTATOES
VIDEO OVERVIEWS OF OUR POTATOES COLLECTION...
- Reviews latest research on understanding potato plant physiology and genetic variety
- Discusses major advances in conventional, hybrid and marker-assisted breeding as well as their application in improved varieties
- Focuses on ways of supporting smallholders in regions such as Africa and Latin America
- Comprehensive coverage of improvements in cultivation techniques across the potato value chain, from yield modelling to post-harvest storage
- Detailed review of the main fungal, bacterial and viral diseases affecting potatoes
- Assesses the environmental impact of potato cultivation
VIDEO OVERVIEWS OF OUR GRAIN LEGUMES COLLECTION...
CURATED BY A TEAM OF ALL-STAR EDITORS...
- Dr Shoba Sivasankar - formerly the Director of both the CGIAR Research Program on Grain Legumes and the Research Program on Dryland Cereals. She was based at the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) in India.
- Dr David Bergvinson - Director-General of ICRISAT.
- Dr Pooran Gaur - Assistant Director of the Grain Legumes Research Program and Principal Scientist for chickpea breeding at ICRISAT.
- Dr Shiv Kumar Agrawal - Food Legumes Coordinator within the Biodiversity and Integrated Gene Management Program at the International Centre for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) based in Morocco.
- Dr Steve Beebe - Leader of the Bean Program at the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) in Colombia.
- Dr Manuele Tamò - insect ecologist at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Benin, with a particular focus on IPM in cereal-legume systems. He has worked with organisation such as AVRDC, ICRISAT and AfriceRice on IPM projects in many countries.
VIDEO OVERVIEWS OF OUR SORGHUM TITLES...
- Comprehensive coverage of the latest research on the genetic diversity and genomics of sorghum
- Reviews key developments in breeding, from conventional to marker-assisted techniques, as well their application in developing higher-yielding, more stress-resistant varieties
- Discusses key elements in integrated crop, pest and weed management
- Discusses latest research on sorghum structure, chemistry and physiology
- Reviews varied uses of sorghum as a feed and feed grain, forage and energy crop
- Includes case studies of key challenges facing sorghum cultivation in regions such as Asia, Africa and South America
OIL BEARING CROPS
KEY FEATURES OF 'ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION OF OIL PALM'
- Experts from key organisations such as the RSPO identify key production trends and challenges
- Reviews latest developments in conventional and marker-assisted breeding as well as transgenic approaches
- Assesses ways of assessing and optimising yields through techniques such as better nutrient and soil management
- Comprehensive review of pests and diseases affecting oil palm and methods for their management
- Reviews controversies about palm oil and health
- Detailed coverage of key issues relating to the environmental impact of oil palm cultivation