The nutritional program at the 5 W Ranch incorporates every necessity our sheep need to maintain a healthy pregnancy, birth, growth and finishing stages that they will go through during their life.
- pasture during lambing & supplemented
- mineral feeders in pastures; truckload of complete mineral package
- Ewes will be rotated on pastures
- During their last trimester ewes will be supplemented with a high energy diet
- When the lambs have reached approximately 15 days of age, creep feeders will be introduced to the lambs.
- high grain finishing ration; distillers grain from a local distillery mixed with corn
HEALTH. BIOSECURITY. PREDATOR CONTROL.
- new additions will be isolated
- all lambs, ewes, and rams will be ID’d with a tag:Each newborn lamb will be tagged; left ear being a female and right being a male
- vaccinations for reproductive diseases
- crutched . ultra sounded and sorted
- The treatment of parasites will be done strategically and periodically. Keeping a natural resistance to parasites is important
- docking tails, castration, and implementing another round of vaccinations
- Predator control: Great Pyrenees dogs will be used to protect the flock
- perimeter fence is woven wire & cross fences are electric wire