Both sides were promoted last season into this league and both teams are in the top half of the table. There is a lot of respect for each other borne out of some thrilling and competitive encounters over the last couple of seasons and this one was to be no different.

A late goal from Ollie Fearon, his 17th of the season sealed the points for AFC after Jack Steers had cancelled out Grant Allott’s opening goal. This ended an 8-game unbeaten run for Hemsworth.

The Bulls welcomed back Gary Bradshaw to the starting XI after injury and gave a debut to Jason Paling a dual signing from Stocksbridge Park Steels.

It was the home side that were quickest to start and had Nick Guest took the gilt-edged chance presented to him after 5 minutes the story could have been so different. But the normally deadly striker fired wide and it set the tone for the rest of his game.

The Bulls 1st effort came on 9 minutes when Ollie Fearon headed wide from a Ryan Williams corner. Both teams continued to create chances without anything hitting the target.

The visitors went close on 28 minutes, Gary Bradshaw running at Hemsworth back line and then releasing Williams on the left edge of the box. The winger elected to hit it 1st time and his curling effort went 2 yards wide.

The Bulls took the lead on 31 minutes, a Williams free kick was met by Grant Allott 12 yards out and his looping header fooled everybody before going in on the far post.

2 minutes later and ‘Wells’ captain Billy Law turns neatly in the box but fires his effort straight at Jason White.

Fearon saw his effort saved by Leigh on 36 minutes after good work by Jason Paling and a cheeky flick by Bradshaw. At the other end, Collier fired wide from just inside the box as both sides continued to attack. The score emained 0-1 at the break with everything to play for.

5 minutes into the restart and a surging run from Paling saw him go past 3 players, his 20 yard effort was always rising over the bar. Fearon then squandered another chance after bring set up by D’Laryea.

Collier was next to try his luck from 25 yards, White always fully behind the drive. Hemsworth were level on 57 minutes, a corner from the right and Jack Steers rose above the pack to power his header off the crossbar and into the net.

The pace of the game never diminished and Tiani and D’Laryea were both orchestrating and battle each other in the middle of the park.

More good work from Paling to give Fearon another chance, the striker beats his marker but fires inches wide. Straight back down the other end and Guest fires wide as the game teeters towards a draw.

Leigh denied D’Laryea’s goal bound effort and then Plummer fires over from 25 yards on 77 minutes.

With just a couple of minutes left Plummer put a free kick into the box and Hemsworth failed to clear the ball dropped in the 6 yard box and after a scramble Fearon got the final touch to force it home and give the points to the visitors.

Hemsworth MW: Leigh, Wilson, Clark, Swift, Viggars, Steers, Blair (Wilkinson 82), Tiani, Law (C), Guest, Collier (Jones 74). Subs not used: Tonks, Snaith & Atkinson.

AFC Mansfield: White, Plummer, Dudley, Allott, Austin, D’Laryea, Williams (Karkach 65), Patterson (C), Fearon, Bradshaw (Timons 85), Paling. Subs not used: Madin, Wilson & Wright.

Referee: Mr Lee Freeman (Sheffield)

Assistants: Mr Robert Woodburn (Rotherham) & Mr Luke Lazenby (Sheffield)

Att: 129

MoM: Jon D’Laryea

John D'Laryea

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.