Loading

Joss House 200 Sacramento Street

The term “Joss” is believed to be derived from the Portuguese word for god, “Deus.”

Joss Houses served as Chinese social and religious headquarters, fulfilling a wide range of cultural needs, including a school, boarding house, and meeting place.

In 1876 this lot was owned by Ah Fling. The Placer County Assessment Rolls show that Hung Shu Hong owned a Joss House here in 1895 and 1898. This building was once part of Auburn’s bustling Chinatown that existed along Sacramento Street.

Placer Herald October 28, 1939

A few different Chinese temples have occupied this lot. This one was built by Charlie Yue and his brother in 1921 for the Ling Ying Association, which means “The Brave Hero’s Association.”