Week 1 - Explore Character Animator
What an interesting software.
It wasn't that hard to use, but not as intuitive as Premiere or After Effects. Still had a lot of fun with it. Opted to download a character animation called Scribbles. It's not as robust as the default ones but I wanted something fun and personal. I moved his x and y position and scaled him as well.
I put the script together first and added a red background so the video would show. Was a little disappointed I couldn't change the background. I guess I assumed you could customize the background. Was also disappointed I couldn't cut and edit the content around the page as easy as you would in the Premiere timeline. Still, I'm looking forward to playing with it some more.
Week 2 - Character Adaptation
This was a fun assignment but I was a bit thrown off when the Chloe character opened in Photoshop instead of Illustrator. I was also surprised that I couldn't move Chloe's hands anymore.
Still, I changed my character to a Pokemon dude with blonde hair and a Pokemon hat and shirt in a Pokemon stadium background.
I also made another version with my own custom character through Characterizer. Was surprised that I was able to use the same audio with no problem.
Looking forward to more experimentation.
Week 3 - Create your own puppet
This was incredibly fun. I took a drawing my friend had sketched up back in the late 80's, scanned it, opened it in Illustrator and traced it.
I took some liberties at colorizing the drawing. Used Chloe's mouth and added a backdrop I found online. I decided to make 2 versions, 1 with music and 1 without. I'm more partial to the one with music.
I used the Kid Icarus theme intro and edited it in Audition to duck the volume. Was surprised I couldn't manipulate audio in Character Animator.
Oh yeah, had to trim the excess content in Quicktime since I forgot to use the barely noticeable grey bar in the timeline to designate the length of a video.
Version 3 (After Feedback)
Reduced the audio further (ducking).
Week 4 - My new features
This one was probably one of the more complicated ones for me. Had a lot of issues working on the rig.
Had to go back and isolate a lot of components from my Illustrator file. In the end, not a huge fan of how my arm looks, but I did like the dangly hair and creating the trigger. Did not do any embellishments, but I certainly worked a lot on the rig and making sure all the components were attached correctly.
The infamous hair dangle incident. Took me well over an hour to figure out I needed to make the dangle independent (set crown icon in RIG) in order for the hair dangle to work without distorting my face.