In my opinion, Sioux Central should not have an MYFL league of Tackle football and here is why:
- Repeated Hits
- Different Sizes of Boys, for they are all growing at different times. In high school it is different, because everyone has matched size or built up most of their strength.
- Not getting to know the game before you play. The focus is always "TACKLE!"
- Because of the different weights and growth rates of kids, there are rules that they can only be in certain positions. This basically sets them up for one or two positions, which is not fair. They do not get to move around and see where they fit best.
My brother used to play for the Rebels MYFL Tackle Football Leauge, but he was not getting much out of it. The coaches did not care, or did not seem to show that they cared about each one of them as individuals. His dream is to play Quarterback, but because of his height and weight that comes with it, he could not fill his dream position. Therefore, the following year, he moved onto Flag Football at Pocohantas. There, he was able to play any position, learn the techniques, meet new and great players, and be happy. Max was finally able to be Quarterback, and he was phenomenal. I cannot wait to watch this boy grow up and see what he does with his talent and hard work. This lil Raven will also be doing flag football this year as well.
I believe that Sioux Central should not allow for athletes to be exposed to such trauma at a young age. Therefore, the solution is to stop Tackle Football and start up a Flag Football leauge just like Pocohantas. They have very young kids all the way to sixth graders in the leauge. This would stop potential head and brain damage from developing at an early age.
- (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2017, from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/
- I. (2013, October 04). Retrieved March 01, 2017, from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dsRLGqJ2niQ
- (2015, December 10). Retrieved March 02, 2017, from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrZdikUdVmA
- H. (2015, February 05). Retrieved February 27, 2017, from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwVY8ShWP8k&list=PLPwwAjhEP1vW_lbBD9N-qslz0yJsET5DO
- C. (2016, February 03). Retrieved February 28, 2017, from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLYs-pDaQY
- G. (2017, January 10). Retrieved February 27, 2017, from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9TrCZcsSyA8
- Findler, P. (2015, August 26). Should Kids Play (American) Football? Retrieved March 03, 2017, from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00948705.2015.1079132?src=recsys
- Gilbert, F., Syd, L., & Johnson, M. (2011, October 18). The Impact of American Tackle Football-Related Concussion in Youth Athletes. Retrieved March 03, 2017, from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21507740.2011.611125?scroll=top&needAccess=true