weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. Hancock County Children's Theater: Students currently in grades 4 through 8 are invited to apply for the 2019 Children's Theater Workshop. This year's show will be "Hankerin' Hillbillies", a comedy about two feuding hillbilly families. The workshop will be held at Greenfield-Central High School. The performances will be in the GCHS auditorium. Classes will begin June 3rd, 2019 and continue through June 28th, 2019. The workshop meets from 8:30am-11:30am, Monday-Friday.
If your child is interested in acting, singing, dancing, art or theater tech, be sure to have him/her pick up an application from his/her music or art teacher. Applications are due by March 3rd.
2. MIS Vaccination Clinic: In response to the Indiana State Department of Health's immunization requirements, the Hancock County Health Department will be holding an immunization clinic at your child's school. We will provide this clinic during the school day to offer students required and recommended vaccinations. The date of the clinic is 03/12/2019. Click below for details on how to sign up for this clinic. This clinic will be open to any student in grades 5-8th.
3. Summer 2019 Camps and Programs: We wanted to make you aware of some summer camp opportunities for students with disabilities and autism. While Maxwell Intermediate School does not endorse any particular activity or organization on this list, we wanted to make you aware of the available programs. Parents are welcome to investigate the opportunities presented below to determine the appropriateness of each activity for their family member.
4. GC Kindergarten Round-Up: Please share with your neighbors and friends who may have Kindergarten-Aged Children
5. Health Ed Pros: We are pleased to inform you that your 5th or 6th grade child is scheduled to participate in human growth and development programming this year with Health Ed Pros. A parent information meeting will be held at Greenfield Intermediate School on February 27th from 6:30-8:00pm. See the attached document for more information as well as to give your child permission to participate or to pull them from the program. Please note a paper copy of this document was sent home earlier this week as well.
6. MIS Archaeology Club Information
7. AskRose Homework Help: Trained Rose-Hulman tutors provide free help to students in math and science. This support is available Sunday-Thursday, 7pm to 10pm (877-Ask-Rose).
8. Library News: Did you know we have eBooks available for MIS students? We received them through the Greenfield-Central School Foundation and want to spread the word. Below is a tutorial you can watch on how to gain access. The eBooks can be read on iPads or Chromebooks. Students can download the books for offline access as well. Should you have questions regarding this, please contact Ms. Lucy Gellert, GC Director of Library Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Camp Invention: The 2019 camp will be July 15-19th at J.B. Stephens Elementary from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost per child is $230. The camp is for children entering grade K-6. If you have questions or need more information, please contact Ms. Amanda Bradford at email@example.com.
10. Breakfast & 2 Hour Delays: In the event of a 2 hour delay this year, breakfast will not be served on these days. This is due to the fact that upon student arrival our lunch staff will already be in the process of prepping lunch.
11. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
12. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A couple of comments that have been shared:
"Mrs. Proper, I want to thank you for your help last week when my daughter missed two days of school and also for the group email you sent today. I very much appreciate all the communication and information you provide to parents. Just wanted you to know!"
"Mrs. Hall has really boosted our son's confidence for reading this year. He really enjoys her humor, and he talks about how well everyone in his class is doing. He feels like he is apart of something important."
13. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
14. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.firstname.lastname@example.org
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
February 15th: President's Day (No School)
February 27th: Hoops for Heart - 2:15-3:30pm
February 27th: Parent Preview Night for Human Growth and Development Presentations - Grades 5/6 @GIS - 6:30-8:00pm
February 28th: K-Kids Meeting - 7:00am
March 6th: 5th Grade Human Growth/Development Program
March 12th: 6th Grade Human Growth/Development Program
March 12th: MIS Vaccination Clinic
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY