Some eighty-seven percent of the land was reserved for whites. They only had 20% of the population.
- Blacks could not live or work in white areas unless they had a pass
- The Separate Amenities Act of 1953 created, separate buses, hospitals, schools and universities.
- Public beaches, Trains, and buses were segregated.
- Blacks were not allowed to employ whites.
- Black police were not allowed to arrest whites.
- Black were not allowed to but hard liquor
- Non-whites had to carry identity documents (passbooks)
ANC (American National Congress)
The ANC originally attempted to use nonviolent protests to end apartheid, however, the Sharpeville massacre (300 cops took fire) resulted in the deaths of 69 black Africans and 186 injured. contributed to deteriorating relations with the South African government.