What is a cell
Everybody is different on the outside, however we are all the same on the inside, as we are all made up of trillions of cells. These cells compose the structure of the human body. Cells are "the basic building blocks of all living things." All cells take in food, rid waste and reproduce. There are 3 main sections of a cell:
- Plasma membrane
- Endoplasmic reticulum
Cells also help dissolve and move nutrients around the body.
Parts of a cell
Cells have many parts, each with a different function. Human cells contain the following:
- PLASMA / CELL MEMBRANE - a big layer of liquid and protein which allows materials to enter and exit through pores and protein channels.
- NUCLEUS - a long strand of DNA which makes more protein and controls all of the cell activity. ( This is pretty much the boss of all the organelles in the cell.)
- ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM - a system that transports protein to make ribosomes . Rough ER receives ribosomes for the nucleus. Smooth ER makes fats break down.
- RIBOSOMES - created by nucleus and transported by rough ER.
- GOLGI BODY - makes packages of protein.
- PROTEIN SHIPMENT -the nucleus makes ribosomes, then the ribosomes travel through to the rough ER making proteins.
- LYSOSOMES - contains digestive enzymes which breaks down food, kills pathogens and destrys dying cells.
- MITOCHONDRIA - organelles that convert energy from food into a form that the cell can use.
- CYTOPLASM - a jelly-like substance which is made up of mostly salt and water. Cytoplasm is responsible for breaking down waste.
The Cell Theory
Cell theory is a scientific theory which describes the properties of cells. There are three parts to the cell theory:
- All organisms are composed of one or more cells.
- The cell is the basic unit structure and organisation in all living organisms.
- All cells come from pre-existing cells.
Cells can range in size. A large cell can be the size of this full stop. A tiny cell can only be seen with a very powerful microscope.
The Cell As A Shopping Centre
The NUCLEUS is like the MALL MANAGER because he/she has to control and ok everything that goes on in the mall before anything happens; like the nucleus which controls what goes on throughout the cell.
The MITOCHONDRIA is like the FOOD COURT because the food court is where the people go get food so they can have more energy when they shopping in the mall; like the mitochondria which is the power house of the cell.
The CELL MEMBRANE is like the ENTRANCE DOORS because ors controls what goes in and out of the mall; like the cell membranes which controls what goes in and out of the cell.
The CYTOPLASM is like the SECURITY GUARDS of the mall because he/she keeps the mall under control and keeps everyone in their place; like the cytoplasm which is a jelly like organelle keeps everything in its place.