ABOUT THE SHOW
The exhibition cuts through the vast body of photographic work of one of the most prominent contemporary Czech photographers, Karel Cudlín. The selection of 76 black and white digital prints covers four decades of Cudlín's professional career, featuring both his iconic images as well as some of the less known photographs. Complementary to the selection of prints is a digital slideshow projection providing access to more content from the original photographic series and thus creating a perfect opportunity for the viewer to look at the individual prints in a broader historical, cultural, and social context. The exhibition is accompanied by a bilingual monograph in Czech and English.
- June 28, 1960 - born in Prague
- 1983-1987 - studies at FAMU (Film and TV School of Academy of Performing Arts) in Prague
- 1988-1990 - staff photographer at Mladý svet magazine
- Since 1990 on collaborates with various agencies (CTK, SIPA, EPA, Mimofilm), print media (Respekt, Revolver Review, Prostor, Lidové noviny), publishing houses (Torst, Argo, Academia) and Czech TV (documentary series Kmeny [Tribes], Ceské století [Czech Century], Bohéma).
- 1997-2003 - one of the official photographers of Czech president Václav Havel
- 2015-1017 - head of the FAMU Studio of Documentary Photography
From 1983 Karel Cudlín had 15 solo exhibitions in Prague. Since 1990, he has also presented his work in solo exhibitions in France, Germany, Austria, Bulgaria, Moldavia, Romania, Croatia, Azerbaijan, Israel, Ukraine, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Spain, Italy, Greece, Georgia, Cyprus, and the United States.
- Karel Cudlín: Fotografie, Prague: Torst, 1994.
- - and Jindrich Marco: Izrael 50, Prague: Argo, 1998.
- Karel Cudlín (Fototorst series), Prague: Torst, 2001.
- Karel Cudlín: Národní divadlo 2004/2005, Prague: National Theater, 2005.
- - and Jáchym Topol: Cestou na východ, Prague: Torst, 2008 (published in German as Unterwegs in der Osten, Nürnberg: Starfruit, 2011).
- - and Zdenek Lukes: Praha 3, Prague: J-Press, 2010.
- Karel Cudlín: Hagibor, Prague: Jewish Community in Prague, 2011.
- - and Eva Cudlínová: 87 magických míst Svaté zeme, Prague: Academia, 2012.
- - and Vilém Precan: Nemecký podzim v Praze 1989, Prague: Ceskoslovenské dokumentacní stredisko, 2014.
- Cudlín: Fotografie/Photographs 1976-2016, Prague: Torst, 2016.
- Museum of Decorative Arts, Prague, Czech Republic
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London, UK
- Moravian Gallery, Brno, Czech Republic
- Museum Ludwig, Cologne, Germany
- Mauer-Museum, Berlin, Germany
- Musée d'Elysée, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Cudlín's work is also part of numerous private collections in Europe, Israel, and the United States.
GRANTS & AWARDS
Cudlín holds 18 awards obtained in various categories of Czech Press Photo, including five First Prizes, the Kodak Prize, and the CTK (Czech Press Agency) Prize. In 2007 he was awarded the prestigious Revolver Review Prize. https://www.czechpressphoto.cz/en/cpp-en/ http://www.revolverrevue.cz/cena-revolver-revue
- Total number of prints: 76
- Digital slideshow (suited for projection from a standard technical setup): 100 digital slides.
- All prints are unframed and produced from digitized 35mm negatives. The 7 large-scale prints (150 x 100 cm) are mounted on Dibond aluminum composite panels.
- The selection encompasses works completed between 1976 and 2016 at the following countries and regions: Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Russia, Caucasus, Central Asia, Mongolia, and Israel.
- Formats & Installation: (A) 9 B&W prints 30 x 30 cm (unframed; installed as "tiles" in one big 3 x 3 square); (B) 60 B&W prints 40 x 60 cm (unframed; installation can be adjusted to each specific venue); (C) 7 B&W prints 100 x 150 cm (mounted on Dibond aluminum composite panels)
- ARTIST • Karel Cudlín • www.cudlin.com • email@example.com
- CURATOR • Misha Sidenberg •firstname.lastname@example.org
- AVAILABILITY CHECK • For more information concerning availability, shipping & handling, and insurance please contact the exhibition's owner Jan Dobrovský at email@example.com
- BOOK • To order copies of the book please contact the Torst publishers at firstname.lastname@example.org. The book can also be ordered online from the Ostrov bookshop at http://www.knihkupectviostrov.cz/karel-cudl%C3%ADn-0.