What is known to cause depression?
- Long Term Unemployment
- Living in an abusive or uncaring relationship
- Family History
- Serious Mental Illness
- Drug and alchohol use
- Loss and grief
- Low self-esteem and body image
- Loneliness or family breakups
How can you help?
There are many ways you can help those with depression:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy(CBT)
- Support groups and online forums
- Diet and Exercise
- Helpful thinking(Change what you think about yourself)
- Online support groups
- Relaxation(Hobbies, getting enough sleep)
- Communication(Spend more time with family and friends)
Lifeline is a non-profit organisation that provides free 24 hour Telephone Crisis Support Service in Australia. They help with:
- Suicidal attempts or thoughts
- Abuse and trauma
- Stress from work, family or society
Lifeline was founded by late Dr. Sir Alan Walker in 1963. They have around 1000 staff and 11,000 volunteers and make around 1800 calls each day.
Black Dog Institute
The Black Dog Institute is dedicated to understanding, preventing and treating mental illness such as depression.
Their mission is enabling mentally healthier lives through innovation in science, medicine, education, public policy and knowledge translation.
The Black Dog Institute was founded in 2002 and they help with those who have: depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder(PTSD), anxiety, workplace mental health, adolescents and young people, suicide prevention, e-mental health, positive psychology and wellbeing.
Depression is when someone experiences sadness or are moody for a long period of time. Depression is not something you can just snap out off or a sign of weakness, and can lead to suicide if not treated. There are many ways you can treat depression whether it is online or therapy. If you know someone who has depression, help them through this difficult time and try to get help, help will not find you if no one is aware.
Black Dog Institute