May 25, 2020
This is my last official entry and required entry, but this has been pretty fun and I think I will keep it up. I know this time is making history and it is really cool to have a journal about it.
So I need to write a connection to Things Fall Apart and my quarantine experience. I guess here it goes:
In Okonkwo's world everything kind of changes on him. While he is away for 7 years the white man takes over his land and his people. When he comes back he is not ready for this change and fights it. He fights it so hard he ends up deciding it is better to die than adapt. I know I shouldn't die from the quarantine unless I get really sick. But I know I am lucky and have food and a house. What could die though is my spirit if I let it but that is not going to happen. I have really adapted well to being quarantined and have come up with new interests and ways to keep my social life going. There are actually some very positive things that have come of this -
1. I spend more time with my sisters playing games with them or soccer and basketball in the yard.
2. I have found new music I love. And new TV shows too.
3. I definitely "see" my cousins and aunts and grandma more than ever on our weekly zoom calls. We should continue this even when we are done.
4. I have celebrated people with drive by honks with my family on their birthdays.
5. I have learned to cook a lot.
6. A new thing is I am now focused on my water intake and even found a cool app.
7. I decided on-line learning is really for me. I love working from home and getting that extra sleep!
So, unlike Okonkwo, I am adapting and changing.
April 27 - May 3
This week we are trying something new, twice a week zoom calls which I really enjoy doing since it motivates me to work harder. It is interesting because I see my extended family a lot more than I would have normally. I am the one that kind of started this weekly tradition. We have themes every week. Right now I am making a Kahoot to do trivia on everyone. We have had a baby picture game, halloween costumes, hero and leader day. It is a fun way to end the week. My aunts, cousins, grandma, uncles all join.
April 20 - 26
This week was really exciting for me because my family did a zoom Prom and I got to take my girlfriend to our zoom prom and she looked absolutely beautiful. I really look forward to our family zoom calls. I dedicated this weeks family zoom to my cousin Kelly because this would have actually been her real prom. She had to of course miss just like everyone else. It is kind of sad. She still put her dress on for the family zoom. My sister wore my mom's wedding dress which was really funny.
April 14 - 19
This was my 2nd week back from e-learning and this week for our family zoom meeting we decorated our doors. My sisters' design was BY FAR the best. We will keep them up for a long time! We get comments from so many people. This picture only shows the two windows but we really have 8 so it makes a big statement. We also learned how to cook coffee cake which was delicious!
April 6 - April 12
This week was my first week back to school or should I say e-school, so far I'm enjoying the experience because I'm getting to do things outside of school, for example, I'm learning to cook a lot of food, the first meal we cooked was wings. We unfortunately did not make them right and added 15 table spoon's of salt instead of 3, so they were pretty salty. The reason was we did not have Kosher salt and apparently you only need 1/5 of Morton's salt compared to Kosher! But the sauce and meat were really good - so next time!
Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 2nd entry
For my last entry I am posting what family life has been like. During a "normal" period we are all in different places. My sisters might be at gymnastics, my brother always has basketball, I am doing homework or at the YMCA, so we don't have family dinners every night. Well now we do. Like every single night. My sisters like to entertain themselves so they turn a simple "make your own pizza night" into a restaurant experience with menus and taking orders and bringing us drinks first. It keeps them busy that is for sure. Anyways I guess it has been nice in a way having dinner together every night for two weeks straight!
Thursday, March 26, 2020
Top 5 Things to do during Quarantine
1. Play Video Games - To get us started I'll list my favorite thing to do during quarantine, playing video games has helped me stay entertained during this strange time. I've been playing my favorite games, Madden 20, NBA2K20, Apex Legends (which I'm able to play with friends from school) and FIFA 20
2. FaceTime - So during Quarantine you're obviously not allowed near other people so I've tried to keep in contact with friends and family as much as possible using FaceTime. My girlfriend and I also try to talk every day over FaceTime which I look forward to and helps entertain me
3. Watch Movies! - Another way I've kept myself entertained is watching movies. I've been watching my favorite movies as of late, like, The Avengers movie series, the always entertaining and my favorite Star Wars series, the Batman movies, and one of my favorite movies, the Fault in our Stars based off the book by John Green
4. Watch TV Shows - So as you can tell by now I get bored easily, so I've been watching some TV shows as well, I'm re-watching my favorite series Degrassi which is about high schoolers in Canada, Kitchen Nightmare and Hotel Hell which are both shows featuring my favorite chef... and to be honest the only famous chef I know, Gordon Ramsay. Finally, I finished my all-time favorite Netflix series "The Ranch" which I absolutely recommend watching.
5. Listen to Music - One of my favorite things to do when I'm relaxing or trying to create a good vibe when doing homework/e-school. Lately I've been listening to new albums from my favorite rappers, "Eternal Atake" Versions 1 & 2 by Lil Uzi, "Death Race to Love" by the late great Chicago born JuiceWrld, and "Music to be Murdered to" by the all-time great Eminem.
Wednesday, March 25, 2020
We had so much fun celebrating my cousin’s birthday on Zoom that we decided it is really healthy to stay connected so we are doing a Happy Hour on Friday at 6pm on Zoom. We have the silly name Lumartaks - Lundins, Marquarts, Ptaks. It will be fun. We will talk and listen to music and our parents will have a beer or wine. This is what we all do when we are together in Michigan on the deck. I feel bad for my grandma since my grandpa just died. It must be hard being sequestered alone in her house. But my aunt lives near her so I think they do go back and forth a bit.
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Happy Birthday to my cousin Kelly! My whole family hopped onto Zoom today and it went well! Really loved seeing everyone today, raised my spirits. So today my cousin turned 18. My mom and my sisters were supposed to go with her mom and my grandma and Kelly to a hotel and then have tea at the Drake to celebrate. That got canceled and then they were going to go to my grandma’s house for a little party. I would have gone too. Then that had to get canceled. We ended up having a Zoom party and we all hung out for about 45 minutes on zoom and talked and watched Kelly open her gifts and eat her cake.
Monday, March 23, 2020
2nd week of e-learning is officially underway! I'm pretty ready for spring break so I can put aside my studies and focus on just relaxing and getting some sleep. Can't wait. So I guess this is what it looks like to do a Shelter in Place. Looks like we will be eating a lot of pasta! We aren’t supposed to stock up or horde food. My mom and dad have bought this over the last 3 weeks so they aren’t clearing the shelves in the store but they are stocking up. We actually are very lucky that we are able to stock up like this. Some families can’t afford to buy in advance and they live more paycheck to paycheck which must be hard. At my mom’s school district they are still feeding the kids who qualify or who need food. Today is the first day of my sister’s spring break. I feel bad for them in a way, they are usually always on a trip. Last year we all left for Florida today.
Friday, March 20, 2020
At 3pm today the Governor is addressing Illinois. Rumor has it he will be doing a Shelter in Place. This means we won’t be able to leave our homes unless it is for essential purposes. Essential purposes are if we have a job we must do because it helps the public like if we are a doctor or a nurse or work in a pharmacy. It also can mean if we work for ComCast or deliver mail. We can also leave if we have something essential to do like go get food, help an older person or go to the doctor. We can also go for walks and get exercise but we are suppose to stay 6 feet away from anyone who is not a family member. This is a picture of all of the States who are doing a Shelter in Place.
Thursday, March 19, 2020
So this is what e-learning looks like. Here is an example of my Spanish class. We have calls at 1pm where we can talk and practice our Spanish and ask any questions. It is actually something I really like because it is nice to see my teacher and classmates and talk and feel a little more connected. Plus I always prefered the talking / conversation piece of Spanish so this is better than doing grammar!
Wednesday, March 18, 2020
Second day of e-learning and I feel really on top of everything. Today has been really good for me because I began my day with my constitution test which I feel I nailed! Followed up with finishing my spanish homework and then giving myself some free time to call my girlfriend, eat breakfast (Waffles and Maple Syrup) and a couple games of NBA2K before hopping back into homework. I’m honestly really enjoying this whole quarantine and e-learning thing. It’s a really cool experience for me to be a part of something this crazy.
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
First day of e-learning and what can I say? I love it! So far I’ve been able to focus strictly on my classes and put aside my hunger for actual food. I was thinking some chicken and waffles could really hit today, but so far I’ve put aside my hunger to focus on first completing my Spanish homework and quiz and now my English homework. Plus there isn’t a whole lot of my favorite foods in our pantry anymore! So far this whole quarantine thing has been a little crazy to me, not being able to hang out with my friends or even leave my home out of the fear of catching coronavirus. My mom is having us wash our hands all the time and when we go out on walks it is only our family. The one thing I’ve enjoyed doing during quarantine is listening to Lil Uzi’s new album “Eternal Atake” and being on facetime with my girlfriend since I’m not able to see her because of coronavirus. I do feel like I am more on top of my homework and classes since I can do it at my own pace and in the order that makes sense to me. It is really crazy to think we are going to be out of school for four weeks and crazier that the restaurants and movies and bars are all closed. Plus everything is canceled. My sister’s soccer, my other sister’s gymnastics classes, Brennan can’t play basketball, even the YMCA is closed. I love Ramen noodles but can’t find them anywhere unless I want to pay $20 a pack on Amazon!