Examples of Greed in the World:
- The Indian Removal Act of 1830 shows the greed in the American Government and among its people.
- People like Bernie Madoff who set up pyramid schemes to steal money from investors show us greed in Wall Street and high earning people.
- A person who takes all of the cookies in the house for himself, not sharing even though he know others will want some.
- A person taking several pieces of chicken when only two are offered this along with the previous example show us greed in the home.
What the Bible says about greed:
- Those who trust in riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf (Proverbs 11:28).
- The greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in the Lord will prosper (Proverbs 28:25).
- Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless (Ecclesiastes 5:10).
- Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5).
Aristotle identifies "liberality" as a virtue that is the mean between prodigality and illiberality.
The liberal man will "give with a fine end in view, and in the right way; because he will give to the right people, and the right amounts, and at the right time". When acting liberally, it is the disposition that matters, not the sum or sort of resources.
A FEW quotes from the Pope on greed:
- This system is by now intolerable: farm workers find it intolerable, laborers find it intolerable, communities find it intolerable, people find it intolerable ... The earth itself ... also finds it intolerable.
- An unfettered pursuit of money rules. That is the dung of the devil.
- Greed and attachment to money, destroys people, destroys families and relationships with others.
SYMBOLS OF GREED IN TODAY'S SOCIETY:
- The color yellow or green
- The frog