The construction of M-A began on March 8, 1950, during a major development boom in Menlo Park after World War II. Originally, the land was part of the large Pulgas Ranch, so the city held a local election to decide whether or not to buy the land in order to build a school. As a result, an overwhelming majority approved the construction of the school, which many speculate to be due to the involvement of Stanford students who lived across the street. The original campus had 12 buildings with 35 classrooms, enough to accommodate 1,015 students. On September 24, 1951, M-A officially opened its doors for the first day of school.