Winter 2019: January 21 - March 4
- Come study tropical agroforestry on the Big Island of Hawaii!
- Learn how to work with natural systems to generate abundant food forests.
- Learn how to stabilize climate through agroforestry.
- Personalized training in both concepts and practice.
- Lots of hands-on experience in the field.
- Full days of learning and interacting with like-minded people.
FARM Center invites you to participate in our 6-week long immersive program offering Regenerative Agroforestry theory and design on a Multistory Agroforestry demonstration site in North Kohala, Hawaii. We welcome students who want to learn how to design, plant and manage successional regenerative food forest that recycle nutrients within.
This program is a blend of theory and practice designed to instill the experience and confidence in order to successfully design and install your own regenerative agroforest.
This is a rare opportunity to live and learn on a mature 10 year old site, with experienced practitioners and teachers of regeneration agroforestry systems.
This 6 week immersion will prepare individuals to design, install and manage low-input landscape food forests systems that will nourish them for decades.
Participants in the Regeneration Agroforestry and Integrated Design Immersion, will be guests at a not-for-profit family farm centered around research, development and education.
We are looking for self-motivated, physically active, hard working, individuals with a strong desire to serve others and learn about their surrounding environment. Ideally a participant will have some foundational background in some or all of the following: botany, biology, horticulture, agronomy, chemistry, ecology, basic fitness and/or non-violent communication skills.
We ask that participants arrive ready to work hard, learn much, focus on agroforestry and ecosystem regeneration.
Students will receive a minimum of 2 hours of classroom and field instruction, 5 days a week, with monthly field trips (TBA). The rest of the time will be spent engaging in ongoing FARM Center projects such as: planting, managing and harvesting multiple regenerative agroforestry systems, farm produce processing, nursery work and propagation, animal care, ergonomic tool use & maintenance, and contributing to an ongoing species profile project.
- 2 hours instruction 5 days/week
- 5 hours hands-on project work 5 days/week
- 2-4 hours on species profile project/week
- ~40 hrs total/week
Sample Weekday Schedule:
- 7-8 AM Breakfast
- 8-9 AM Daily Check in
- 9-11 AM Hands-on Project Work
- 11-12 PM Tool Care & Maintenance
- 12-1 PM Lunch
- 1-3 PM Instruction
- 3-5 PM Hands-on Project work
- 5-6 PM Personal time/Species profile project
- 6-8 PM Dinner
After 6 weeks students will:
- Have a foundation in agroforestry systems and the fundamentals of regenerative agriculture.
- Learn how to plan, install and manage different multi-strata agroforestry systems onsite.
- Design their own regenerative agroforestry systems along with installation and management plans.
(While our site is located in the tropics, we can teach students how to apply these same methods in temperate environments as well.)
- Fundamentals of abundant food crops
- Building soils using natural regeneration
- How to establish and manage a food forest
- How to avoid common mistakes
- 6-week program @ $500/person/week
- $3000/person/6-week program
- Maximum of 6 participants per session.
Accommodations & Food
Rustic cabins with a comfortable bed. Composting toilet and hot shower provided. Laundry available onsite. No cell reception or wifi, limited internet access.
Basic vegetarian provisions provided as bulk food and farm fresh produce. Students will be responsible for cooking own meals excepting communal feasts TBA.