1. Population and world ranking= 1,373,541,278, 1st
2. Economy/GDP world Ranking= $15,400, 104th
3. Unemployment rate and world ranking= 4.2%, 39th
4. Main Industries= world leader in gross value of industrial output; mining and ore processing, iron, steel, aluminum, and other metals, coal
5. Government Type- Provide a definition of the type that helps explain it. Communist= all means of production are owned in common, rather than by individuals. In practice, a single authoritarian party controls both the political and economic systems.
6. Capital= Beijing
7. Administrative divisions= 23 provinces, 5 autonomous regions, and 4 municipalities
8. Independence= 1 October 1949 (People's Republic of China established)
9. Information about their constitution= several previous; latest promulgated 4 December 1982; amended several times, last in 2004 (2016)
10. Give a description of their legal system= civil law influenced by Soviet and continental European civil law systems; legislature retains power to interpret statutes
11. Suffrage (Voting Age)= 18 years old
12. Executive Branch Some of these may not apply. a. Head of State/Chief of state b. Cabinet c, Elections. How they work? How often? How is power transferred due to illness or death of leader.= a. President XI Jinping, b. State Council appointed by National People's Congress every 5 years.
13. Legislative Branch a. Unicameral or Bicameral? b. Explain how it is organized? b. Elections. How often?= a. unicameral National People's Congress, b. members serve 5-year terms
14. Judicial Branch a. How is it organized? How are judges picked?= a. Supreme People's Court (consists of over 340 judges including the chief justice, and 13 grand justices, b= chief justice appointed by the People's National Congress (NPC); term limited to 2 consecutive 5-year terms