On August 3, 2017, FHI 360’s Nigeria staff hosted an event, “Building Resilient Communities in Changing Times". This event explored the challenges and successes in development and humanitarian program designs and implementation in Nigeria and how stakeholders could collectively support the country on its path to greater resilience. Participants were practitioners and donors who are leading global and national efforts in effective development programs and policies.
PANEL 2: Building Resilient Health Systems - Successes and Challenges
This panel focused on discussing health systems, and the various ways communities, government authorities and other stakeholders have faced and surmounted obstacles to the delivery of health services.
- Han Kang, Director of HIV and TB, USAID Nigeria
- Dr. Haruna Mshelia, Hon. Commissioner of Health, Borno State
- Dr. Fatima Abubakar, Hon. Commissioner of Health, Adamawa State
- Dr. Femi Oduneye, Regional Health Manager, Sub-Saharan Africa, Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCo)
- Prof. Obinna Onwujekwe, Professor of Health Economics & Policy, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State
- Dr. Robert Chiegil, Country Director, FHI 360 Nigeria
- Dr. Sani Aliyu, Director General, National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA)
- Dr. Hadiza Khamofu, Deputy Chief of Party, Technical, SIDHAS (FHI 360)
Panel 3: Building Resilient Communities - The Role of Education
This panel focused on exploring the many ways education plays a role in building resilient communities around Nigeria.
- Professor Halimatu S. Idris, Hon. Commissioner of Education, Katsina State
- Alhaji Salisu Sadi, Lecturer, Master Trainer and former Deputy Provost, Federal College of Education (Technical), Gusau, Zamfara State
- Anna Madziga, Save School Initiative Consultant, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- Dr. Hussaini Abdu, Country Director, Plan International
- Dr. Mukhtar Muhammed Lugga, Hon. Commissioner of Education, Zamfara State
- Ayo Oladini, Project Director, Education Response Project (ECR), Creative Associates International.
- Prof. Hauwa Biu, Sub-Committee Chairperson, Presidential Committee on North-East Initiative (PCNI)
- Nurudeen Lawal, Project Director, RANA (FHI 360 )