Social Media is a powerful way to raise awareness for Spread the Word. It allows people to engage in conversations that help change attitudes and drive people to pledge to take their own action for inclusion at www.spreadtheword.global. Use social media to promote local events (in-person and virtual), celebrate inclusion in your community, educate your audience, and connect with schools and organizations.
- Like and follow the Spread the Word >> Inclusion Page
- Re-share articles, videos, and events from Spread the Word, Special Olympics, and Best Buddies.
- Ask your audience questions and create opportunities for positive discussion in the comments.
- Share photos and videos from local events using #pledgetoinclude.
- Challenge schools and organizations to host a pledge event.
- Follow @PledgeToInclude @SpecialOlympics and @BestBuddies
- Retweet posts to your own page.
- Use #PledgeToInclude when talking about the Spread the Word Campaign or how you are working to make you community more inclusive
- Tag community and school leaders and challenge them to take the pledge.
- Create a series of quick tips for promoting inclusion.
- Follow @PledgeToInclude. Share our Instagram Story Templates on your own page.
- Challenge your community members to share their stories of inclusion using our social media templates.
- Post photos or videos from inclusion events in your community.
- Be sure to tag our account and use #PledgeToInclude.
SHARE OUR SOCIAL MEDIA TEMPLATES WITH YOUR COMMUNITY TO HELP THEM TELL THEIR OWN STORIES OF INCLUSION
SAMPLE TEXT FOR ANY PLATFORM
- “Be a Fan of Inclusion. Help create opportunities for inclusive activities in your school and take the #PledgetoInclude [@tag local schools]”
- “We pledge #friendship through our words and actions. Will you [@tag local organizations]? Pledge now at www.spreadtheword.global to create communities of respect for people with intellectual disabilities and #PledgetoInclude”
- "This March, we are challenging you to celebrate an entire week of inclusion around Spread the Word >> Inclusion day. Share photos from your inclusion week using #pledgetoinclude. [@tag schools and organizations in your area]."
BLOGS & NEWSLETTERS
- These channels can be powerful storytelling tools. Start conversations about inclusion, intellectual disabilities, sports, and friendship.
- Use blogs to tell in-depth stories of inclusion in your communities.
- Highlight individuals or organizations making a difference in your newsletter.
SHARE STORIES FROM YOUR COMMUNITY
In addition to social media, newsletters, blogs, and local media outlets, share photos and videos from events in your community with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do you have a story of inclusion you want to share? Let us know!
REACHING OUT TO PARTNERS
Reach out to organizations in your area asking them to join you in promoting inclusion. See our Partnership Outreach Information document for email templates and examples of how partners can support Spread the Word.
- Reach out to local talent and organizations who can help spread inclusion in your community.
- Maintain partnerships from year to year.
- Provide partners with resources and talking points.
IDEAS FOR PARTNER ENGAGEMENT
- Ask partners to produce a short video for social media or write a blog post about how inclusion connects to their work.
- Facilitate collaboration between partner organizations and leaders of the Best Buddies and Special Olympics communities.
- Attend or host an event.
- Provide graphics and sample copy for social media and ask partners to promote Spread the Word >> Inclusion.