AFC Snatch Defeat from Victory PARKGATE 2 - 1 AFC MANSFIELD

AFC Mansfield snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at the Roundwood Pavilion on Saturday. The Bulls conceded 2 goals in the final 7 minutes to throw away a 78th minute lead from the head of Phil Buxton.

In truth neither side deserved the win in this dour end of season affair. But with Parkgate fighting relegation they were never going to give up.

Right from the off AFC pushed into the Parkgate half and started to deliver crosses into the box. The 1st real chance came on 10 minutes when a Jamie Yates cross was met by Lynton Karkach but his header was wide of the target.

There were appeals for a penalty on 17 minutes as George Milner went down under a challenge in the box but the referee waved play on.

Jamie Yates tried his luck from 20 yards with a low drive but the Parkgate keeper Josh Lill was well placed to save.

Joe Cheeseman was next to try his luck, hoisting his effort over the stand from a corner on 30 minutes. Karkach then had a goalbound effort blocked as The Bulls dominated.

Another good corner from Yates was met by the head of Cheeseman but again it failed to hit the target.

The final 5 minutes of the half saw the visitors put countless crosses into the box but Parkgate dealt with them all and it was all square at the break.

Five minutes into the restart and after a Yates cross was only half cleared Matty Plummer fired in a stinging drive that the keeper saved superbly.

Joe Cheeseman limped off on 75 minutes after a high challenge left the centre half in a heap on the ground.

AFC Mansfield pushed Phil Buxton forward and on 78 minutes he got the breakthrough. Heading home from another fine cross from Yates.

AFC Mansfield thought they had won it as Parkgate had offered little in goalscoring opportunities. But a side that is fighting relegation needs every point they can get.

5 minutes later and they were back on level terms when Alex Lill fired home from 8 yards with a little suspicion of offside.

The comeback was complete right at the end of the game when the ball was fired at Jimmy Ghaichem from 3 yards away, the captain turned to protect himself and the ball cannoned off the arm in front of his face. Not only a penalty but somehow a yellow card as well.

Keiran Hirst stepped up and despite Dale Sheppard diving the right way and getting a hand to the spot kick the ball crept over the line. A real sucker punch for AFC and they will be rueing the missed chances in the first half.

AFC Mansfield: Sheppard, Buxton, Dudley, Plummer, Cheeseman (Wilson 75), D’Laryea, Yates, Lloyd, Karkach (Allott 62), Milner, Ghaichem. Subs not used: Timons, Naylor & Paling.

Referee: Mr Ed Stapleton (Ossett)

Assistants: Mr Drew Dutton (Barnsley) & Mr Ashley Royston (Barnsley)

Attendance: 116

MoM: Jamie Yates

MoM: Jamie Yates

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.