The Reality of FGM
- Partial to total removal of external genitalia, includes sewing of vaginal opening.
- Tradition: No anesthesia, lack of sanitary tools.
- Used to preserve virginity, cleanliness, and marriage prospects.
- Causes sever pain, bleeding, and health complications that can last a life time and lead to death.
FGM breads disease, distorts the body, and causes suffering.
Education of FGM and YWAM
- Many caregivers are unaware of the consequences of FGM.
- After education, the rate of caregivers able to list at least 3 FGM related complications increased from 50% to 72%.
- The number of caregivers thinking that uncut women have “loose morals” decreased from 39% to 28%.
- Through YWAM's influence, these changes can happen in Somalia.