Book Thief Themes By Andy Straley

Theme I: Knowledge is power

"The words. Why did they have to exist? Without them, there wouldn't be any of this. Without words, the Führer was nothing." (82.28)

The entire book symbolizes this quote because leafless reads books constantly and when done with them she steals new ones. She has learned many things from all of these books that she has both learned but she also has the power to make new Ideas and new way the look at Hitler. Most people in Germany didn't have acces to normal books. most books were about Hitler and his Reich. A lot of the education went to his youth, which forged the next generation of Nazis.

The article " Knowledge Is Power Only if You Know How to Use It " explains how knowledge can be power. not everything is necessarily important, but having the common knowledge is important. History for example, is always written, and if it is read it can be read and then used to create a better future. It helps us learn from our past mistakes and push forward.

Theme II: Courage inspires hope

"In 1933, 90 percent of Germans showed unflinching support for Adolph Hitler. That leaves 10 percent who didn't. Hans Humberman belonged to that ten percent." (10.9)

This quote explains how many people did not follow Hitler and his beliefs. And in Germany that was a very dangerous thing to do. Germany had many strict laws and almost everyone liked them. And those who didn't like Hitler kept it to themselves because they would fear for their life if they did. Some people did act, but they were immediately executed after doing so. Germany's height of power ran on the fear of their people. So those who did fight against overcame their fears and fought. This is the very definition of courage. Against all odds they decided to survive in an harsh environment, which would have killed most.

This article was about the general meaning of courage and why it is a skill everyone should have. Its the main reason why we have what we have."We must have courage to bet on our ideas, to take the calculated risk, and to act. Everyday living requires courage if life is to be effective and bring happiness". as Maxwell Waltz once said. It what most of us use to defend in what we believe in. Courage is what drives a soldiers soul.

Theme 3:

“People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spot blues. Murky darkness. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.”

This quote explains that all of these people have always judged someone for what they are and what they say. But they hardly ever judge people on what they do and act. A annoying person who drives people nuts can end up defending someone when they were attacked. Sometimes we as humans act differently than the things that we say. Death in the book thief observes this by observing what he children did for people and themselves during this dark time. For example, when the city Leissel was in while it was being bombed. While everyone was in the shelter absolutely terrified, Leissel made the decision to read a book to them to help them keep calm and not think about what was going on outside.

We can apologize for our mistakes over and over, but if our actions do not change, the words become meaningless. You need to be careful of what you say to someone who loves you, if you are not able to support what you say with actions. It is much more effective to simply act the way you wish to instead of giving someone false hope. Do not lead this person to believe you are actually remorseful if you are just going to go back to your destructive behavior. But if you change the way you act that "you wont do it again" is more promising.

The End

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.