The Milwaukee Heath Department wants everyone to have a safe "Reimagined" Halloween
We don’t want to take away the fun and excitement from Halloween. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), many traditional Halloween activities, including Trick or Treating, are considered to be high-risk for spreading COVID -19. There are several safe and alternative ways to take part in Halloween.
Boo! Now that we have your attention…Let’s talk about how to celebrate safely. Let’s make it fun and safe!
No matter how you decide to celebrate, please follow these guidelines:
1. If you have any COVID symptoms, please stay home.
2. Don’t wear two masks. A costume mask (such as for Halloween) is not a substitute for a cloth mask. A costume mask should not be used unless it is made of two or more layers of breathable fabric that covers the mouth and nose and doesn’t leave gaps around the face.
3. Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer.
4. Maintain social distancing.
5. Keep activities outside as much as possible.
Lower Risk Activities and Safe Alternatives:
• Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them.
• Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends.
• Decorating your house, apartment, or living space.
• Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while they walk outdoors from house to house admiring Halloween decorations at a distance.
• Having a virtual Halloween costume contest.
• Having a Halloween movie night with people you live with.
• Having a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house.
• With so many fun decorations throughout the city, get in a car and play Halloween I-Spy with members of your household.
Created with images by David Menidrey - "Pumpkin Twins" • Conner Baker - "Squad" • Hello I'm Nik 🎞 - "Halloweeeeeen 2019" • Bee Felten-Leidel - "untitled image" • Jen Theodore - "untitled image" • Eric Deeran - "Over watch" • Paige Cody - "Little Witch" • NeONBRAND - "untitled image" • Jayson Hinrichsen - "untitled image" • Bee Felten-Leidel - "witchy Halloween scene" • Nicole Edelbrock - "Happy Jack"