Tau Sigma Honor Society Goals
- Address the current lack of recognition of outstanding academic achievement of transfer students.
- Provide motivation for the academic excellence of all incoming transfer students.
- Enhance the reputation of all transfer students.
- Provide a common bond among transfer students.
- Promote the involvement of transfer students at SDSU.
- Build community among SDSU transfer students who will help address and meet the needs of incoming and continuing transfer students.
SDSU TAU SIGMA MEMBERSHIP CRITERIA
- Must be a transfer student from another academic institution with at least one full years’ academic credits satisfied at the prior institution(s).
- Must be registered in a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree for an amount of work equal to an average full load (12-15 units).
- Membership in Tau Sigma is based upon superior academic achievement by SDSU students at the end of their first term at SDSU. (Only credit hours that count toward a bachelor's degree can be used to determine Tau Sigma eligibility).
- An academic cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher at the end of the first fall term
- Academic eligibility is obtained on the grades at the end of one full semester of enrollment.
- Eligibility is limited to the first term of enrollment at SDSU.
TAU SIGMA HONOR SOCIETY MEMBER BENEFITS
- Lifetime membership
- Special transfer honors recognition ceremony
- Tau Sigma student members' names are printed in the commencement (graduation) program, distributed at your college ceremony
- Resume - add Honors/Awards section and highlight Tau Sigma National Honor Society
- Opportunity to apply to Tau Sigma scholarship opportunities.
- Opportunity to apply to participate in a future national Tau Sigma leadership conference
- Engagement in the official Tau Sigma Honor Society OR Transfer Student Outreach Alliance Student organization (to meet other transfer student peers) and impact change within the transfer community
- Connect to other leadership or volunteer opportunities via Tau Sigma or TSOA (Transfer Student Outreach Alliance student organization, SDSU's official transfer student organization open to all SDSU transfer students)
- Other transfer student specific invitations
Transfer Student Participation in Leadership or Professional Conferences
Leadership conference (annually every October or early November)
The Tau Sigma National Honor Society main office hosts an annual Leadership Conference to provide transfer student networking, professional development sessions, guest speakers, ideas to improve SDSU transfer student programming, and sightseeing in the host city.
Tau Sigma members at SDSU are nominated to participate in the Annual Leadership Conference
TRANSFER STUDENTS AT SDSU ARE AMONG THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST ON CAMPUS
- Fall 2019 - Transfer students had a 92.6% first year continuation rate (transitioned successfully into their 2nd year)
- SDSU continues to receive record breaking numbers of new upper division transfer applications each year.
- In Fall 2020, 24,731 transfer students applied.
- In Fall 2020, 4,173 transfer students enrolled at SDSU
- New upper division transfer students account for approximately 40% of SDSU’s incoming class each year.
- New transfer students account for half of the bachelor’s degrees granted each year.
- Transfer students have the highest graduation rates at SDSU and perform on par with first-year students on other graduation outcomes such as total credits earned and GPA.
Information provided by Analytic Studies & Institutional Research
HOW TO BECOME AN SDSU TAU SIGMA MEMBER?
- Invest time in your studies and work hard to maintain a 3.5 gpa and above at the end of your first semester at SDSU
- Eligible students receive an invitation to join from the national Tau Sigma Honor Society
- Students may opt in to pay the membership dues by the designated date (NOTE: this deadline is not retroactive). During the time of paying membership, students may purchase an honor cord or other Tau Sigma merchandise to be mailed directly to your mailing address
- Our SDSU Tau Sigma Chapter receives the roster of Tau Sigma new members from the national office (after the membership deadline on May 17, 2021)
- New SDSU members are invited to participate in the induction ceremony (Note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions - induction in person is postponed until further notice)
- College Dean's offices receive a list of all new members
- Members receive invitations to participate in events
- During commencement - when you graduate, all Tau Sigma members are included in the commencement program