Dear Florida Ballet Friends and Family
Of all the challenges we have faced over the years, nothing has tested our community as deeply and intensely as the COVID-19 crisis. There is so much I could say about the severity of the situation and the pressing concerns non-profit organizations like The Florida Ballet now face, but instead, I will remind everyone that in times of uncertainty, the arts have the power to restore positivity, inspire goodwill, and remind us that there is hope.
As we continue to address the unprecedented circumstances of this global health crisis, The Florida Ballet is looking at all possible scenarios when it comes to performances during the 2020/21 season including our annual production of “The Nutcracker.”
Whatever shape the season takes, the safety of our dancers, audience members, and staff is our top priority. Our staff continues to explore alternative models including a mixture of virtual and in-person distanced seating performances, as well as a variety of venue options. Our team is determined to find a path to ensure this beloved holiday tradition will continue in some capacity. Although Nutcracker 2020 will be a different experience, I am very optimistic we will continue to provide our community with joyous and magical holiday traditions.
2020 Nutcracker Auditions
September 12 and 13, 2020
Currently, specific performance details cannot be confirmed. However, we still need to begin with preparations regardless of the remaining uncertainties. We must move forward with auditions to allow appropriate preparation time for performances to be ready regardless of the presentation format.
For families to make the most informative decision regarding participation, we can provide the following details concerning the performance and audition process at this time:
- New choreography with new roles under the direction of Artistic Director, Roberto Forleo
- A shorter version with slight pause (no standard intermission)
- Smaller cast(s) to limit the number of dancers rehearsing and performing together
- Possible performance dates of December 11-13 and/or 18-20
- Multiple venues and/or live streaming
- All dancers must pre-register online prior to September 8 deadline - no drop-ins on audition day
- Audition fee is non-refundable
- Auditions open to ages 6 and above
- Limited roles - not all will be cast
- Masks are required and worn for the audition, social distancing protocols will be enforced
- Parents will not be able to enter or accompany their dancer into the facility for audition
If you and/or your dancer decide to move forward with the audition process after reviewing the above information, please register by September 8th utilizing the official forms below according to you and/or your dancer(s) age group.