Where History Launches the Future Donations to ECU libraries help patrons prepare for their futures

In honor of National Library Week, East Carolina University is spotlighting the generous gifts made by alumni and friends of the university.

Use of private funds and unique donations can be seen across all three of ECU’s libraries; you just have to know where to look. Whether it is historic papers at Joyner, distinct music collections in Fletcher Music Center, or places to study while enjoying the spring weather at Laupus – the impact of donors is all around us.

Donor support of ECU’s libraries was near $400,000 in the 2015-16 fiscal year. (Joyner/Music: $285,318 & Laupus: $112,834).

Moseley Map

Created in 1733 by Edward Moseley (1682-1749), Surveyor General of North Carolina in the early 1700s, and donated by Mrs. John W. Graham of Edenton, North Carolina.

ECU holds the only known version of the Moseley Map in North America in Joyner Library's archives. It is easily the library’s most valuable item in their collection with an approximate value of $2 million.

Janice Hardison Faulkner Gallery

Featuring state-of-the-art technology, including two 80-inch LCD panels for digital art, two projectors with 100-inch retractable screens and 16 ceiling speakers

The space is used for student, faculty/staff, and community art shows and exhibits, "FaculTeas" and other speaking engagements, and student study space.

Named after retired professor Janice Hardison Faulkner. More than 125 people donated $130,000 to fund the renovation of existing space.

Guided Readers in the Teaching Resources Center

Guided readers are used by elementary school teachers to teach students in small groups based on reading level. This collection allows elementary education majors to practice using guided readers prior to entering the classroom.

Each guided reader kit contains:

  • 10 titles (6 copies each)
  • 1 teacher's guide
  • 10 book cards

4th floor Terrace Balcony outdoor furniture

Libraries were once known for strict policies on food and drink. With the support of the Friends of Laupus Library outdoor furniture is now offered for patrons.

Students who spend countless hours studying can now enjoy eating, studying, or a quick break for fresh air and a chance to enjoy a beautiful day.

“We are grateful to the many individuals who have chosen to share their time, talents and treasure with Joyner Library. Their generosity helps us provide outstanding resources, services and programming for our students, faculty and community.” – Janice S. Lewis, Director, Academic Library Services

Graduate exhibition showcases

From the School of Art & Design

These annual pieces are a variety of mediums, including:

  • paintings
  • photography
  • sculpture
  • ceramics
  • metal works
  • jewelry
  • textiles

In addition to several student awards, the Friends of Joyner Library supports a yearly $1000 purchase award which is added to Joyner’s extensive permanent art collection.

Laupus Library’s Historic Microscopes Collection

Antique microscopes manufactured in the United States, England, France, Germany, and Japan dating back to 1835

Gifted by Dr. Donald Hoffman, professor in the Brody School of Medicine, this collection includes:

  • microscopes and their cases
  • accessories
  • instruction manuals

WorkLounge units

These units in Joyner Library have an outlet and a USB port for charging, supportive yet comfortable seating, individual lighting, and a privacy shield.

Four units are sponsored by the Tomlinson Family Trust and there are 20 units in total.

Gifts to Laupus Collection

History Collections manages books, artifacts, and manuscript collections relevant to the history of the health sciences, primarily in eastern North Carolina.

The current exhibit features archival materials and artifacts from the History Collections and Country Doctor Museum, like Dr. Andrew A. Best’s original application to join the Pitt County Medical and Dental Society, the leather doctor’s satchel he would have taken on house calls, and an adult scale that once belonged to Dr. Milton D. Quigless.

Laupus History Collections is currently exhibiting Desegregating Healthcare in Eastern North Carolina through April 30.

“Our donors know that their support has the potential to positively impact every student in the Division of Health Sciences. Laupus Library is a better, more inviting space through the generous contributions of our donors and friends group.” - Beth Ketterman, MLS, interim director, Laupus Health Sciences Library

Jazzman Collection

Tom “TomtheJazzman” Mallison and his wife Frances donated:

  • More than 9,000 records (record albums, box sets & singles)
  • More than 20,000 compact discs, primarily jazz but also many other music styles
“The 'TomtheJazzman' Collection provides students and faculty the opportunity to understand the evolution of jazz and gain a greater appreciation for the art that is jazz music.” – Janice S. Lewis, Director, Academic Library Services

Henry Berry Lowrie Documents

This collection contains eight documents (1864-1872) relating to the Lowrie (Lowry) Gang of Outlaws based in Robeson County, North Carolina and was purchased using Langford endowment income.

Society of Colonial Wars

Records (1936-2011) include:

  • Correspondence
  • Historical writings
  • Letterhead
  • Address lists
  • Membership applications
  • Minutes
  • Financial records
  • Brochures, pamphlets
  • Periodicals
  • Yearbooks of the North Carolina Chapter and The Gazette of the General Society of Colonial Wars
  • The Society of the Daughters of Colonial Wars in the State of North Carolina yearbooks and the by-laws
  • Yearbooks of the General Society of Colonial Wars

Music Library

Since opening in 1958, the Music Library has grown from a small collection of just 20,000 volumes to the current holdings of over 101,000 including:

  • CDs - 29,100
  • Audio Cassettes - 1,300
  • LPs - 3,000
  • DVDs - 1,600
  • Video Cassettes - 100
  • Scores - 40,000
  • Books and Journals - 20,000
  • Microforms - 1,100
  • Other – 700

Technology and additional study carrels were the focus of a 2016 renovation campaign for the Music Library.

Transforming space and equipment

Laupus Library’s 3rd floor provides powered stations for patrons.

Study carrel specialty lighting was fulfilled by the support of the Friends of Laupus Library.

Created By
Morgan Tilton
Appreciate

Credits:

Photos by Cliff Hollis 

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.