Definition of setting objectives: The process of establishing a direction to guide learning.
- Set objectives that are specific but not restrictive
- Communicate learning objectives to students and parents
- Connect learning objectives to previous and future learning
- Engage students in setting personal learning objectives
- An end game is established
- If the objective isn't relative to the student, there's no buy in
Here's a video demonstrating proper objective setting:
Here's a video demonstrating improper objective setting:
Definition of providing feedback: Commentary on student performance that is corrective, timely and criteria focused, used to foster student learning.
- Provide feedback that addresses what is correct and elaborates on what students need to do next.
- Provide feedback appropriately in time to meet students' needs.
- Provide feedback that is criterion referenced.
- Engage students in the feedback process.
- Specific timely feedback can guide performance in a positive direction
- Disingenuous feedback could discourage students
Here is a video example of negative feedback:
Here is a video example of unproductive feedback:
Here is a video example of positive feedback: