Through the SPDG Grant, the South Dakota Department of Education in partnership with SD Parent Connection, SD Statewide Family Engagement Center, and Dakota State University have developed a four-part training series of parent development modules centered around supporting children's reading development at home and the big five areas of literacy (Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary and Comprehension).
- Module 1: In-person at School Sites - Phonemic Awareness and Phonics. (If you did not attend the Module 1 face-to-face training session at your school, it can be viewed by clicking this link.)
- Module 2: Online - Phonemic Awareness and Phonics Follow-Up
- Module 3: In-person at School Sites - Fluency, Vocabulary, & Comprehension (to view Module 3 online use this link)
- Module 4: Online - Fluency, Vocabulary, & Comprehension Follow-Up
Big 5 Literacy Skills Terminology Review
This video provides an overview of the "Big 5" Literacy skills. The Florida Center for Reading Research has many center activities that can be explored related to the Big 5 Literacy Skills.
Phonemic Awareness: The ability to hear and manipulate sounds in words
Phonics: The ability to match written letters with the sounds of speech and apply this knowledge in reading and spelling.
Fluency: The ability to read text aloud and to one’s self with accuracy, speed and proper expression.
Vocabulary: Understanding word meanings.
Comprehension: Understanding what you read.
By visiting the appropriate backpack icon below, you will find a link to a resource page for each grade level group. As we go through the live parent modules, we will release content in each of the 5 key areas of reading with a series of follow up tasks for parents to complete at home with their child.
Follow-up Task 1 and 2:
After attending the in-person parent training sessions at your school, complete the following activities to gain a deeper understanding of how you can support your child in the big 5 reading skills at home:
- Visit the appropriate parent resources depending on the age and skill set of your child.
- Review the age/grade appropriate resources for phonemic awareness and phonics, and fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
- Choose 1 activity to complete with your child at home in each of the big 5 areas of reading (phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension).
- Fill out the parent survey to share what you did and its impact.