Encourage Interaction Between You and Your Students
- Frequent student-faculty contact in and out of class is a most important factor in student motivation and involvement.
- Faculty concern helps students get through rough times and keep on working.
- It enhances students' intellectual commitment and encourages them to think about their own values and plans.
Encourage Interaction and Collaboration Between Students
- Learning is enhanced when it is more like a team effort than a solo race.
- Good learning, like good work, is collaborative and social, not competitive and isolated.
- Working with others often increases involvement in learning.
- Sharing one's ideas and responding to others improves thinking and deepens understanding
Provide Prompt Feedback
- Knowing what you know and don't know focuses your learning.
- Students need help in assessing their existing knowledge and competence.
- Students need frequent opportunities to perform and to receive feedback on their performance. They need chances to reflect on what they know and what they still need to learn.
- Feedback should be provided promptly, so students can adapt/improve before the next assignment, discussion, or assessment.
Emphasize Time on Task
- Time plus energy equals learning.
- Using time well is critical for students and professionals alike.
- Allocating realistic amounts of time means effective teaching for faculty and efficient learning for students.
This assignment reflects the "Time on Task" method because it shows that using your time wisely to come up with the pictures and descriptions for each slide will make things go a lot smoother.
Respect Diversity and Individual Talents, Experience, and Learning Styles
- Many roads lead to learning. Different students bring different talents and styles to college.
- Brilliant students in a seminar might be all thumbs in a lab or studio; students rich in hands-on experience may not do so well with theory.
- Students need opportunities to show their talents and learn in ways that work for them. Then they can be pushed to learn in new ways that do not come easily.