Organelles are the systems inside of the cell that help it to function. Here's a list of the main organelles and what they do.
- Cell wall - Only found in plants, this organelle surrounds the outside of the cell
- Cell membrane - This is a section surrounding the cell that only allows small molecules such as oxygen to enter the cell
- Cytoplasm - This is the fluid on the inside of the cell in which all organelles float
- Nucleus - Also known as the brain of the cell, the nucleus contains DNA and other important information
- Centriole - The organelle responsible for the process of cell division
Cells can be classified into 2 distinct groups - Animal and Plant
Plant cells contain chloroplasts, an organelle required for photosynthesis
This is a diagram of an animal cell. It contains organelles such as; Smooth ER, Rough ER, cell membrane, cytoplasm, nucleus, nucleolus and the Golgi Body. Unlike a plant cell, it does not contain chloroplasts and a cell wall.