Today I finished my first sketch and am beginning to trace it with sharpie. My previous concern was that it was going to bleed through to the other side but so far it has been fine. I also made sure to use a ruler while tracing so the lines would be more exact and distinctive. After I finished tracing in sharpie, I moved to the other side of my paper to begin my second sketch. I am excited to see how this page turns out because it has the shape containing the word "pirates" on it. This word is my favorite because it represents me the most based on the school I'm attending next year and I think it gives the sketch detail.
Today, I finished my second page sketch and traced it in sharpie. I began to pick out colors that coordinated to my cover page. I also made sure to use different materials such as colored pencil and marker because my artist used multiple materials as well. Drawing in these materials was rigorous because if you didn't continue to fill in a shape in a pattern, the coloring would look rushed and not clean. Today I achieved coloring in half of my first sketch.
After last class, I took a minute to reflect on my artwork today to see what I really like and what I do not. So far, I am still obsessed with the way the hashtags look on my pages. However, I do not like the green colored pencil I used to fill in shapes. Even though I do not like this color, I cannot change it now or else the paper will look inconsistent. During this class period I also finished coloring my whole first sketch. So far I am proud of my work and can definitely see the similarities in style compared to Jasper Johns.
Today I began coloring in my second sketch. This process is tedious because its so simple but you do have to be cautious while coloring. I also noticed that I liked to use my markers rather than my colored pencils as a material so I tried to make sure I was making an even distribution of both. Overall, I think consistently drawing in small circles for colored pencil and straight lines for markers was the most tedious thing I did on this project. However, I knew if I didn't color this way my paper would of looked sloppy and unfinished. This is the reason why I took my time to make sure my coloring techniques were correct so it would reflect well on my pages once they were complete.
Today I finished coloring my second sketch and began to cut my pages. In order to do this, I had to plan what shape I wanted my pages to be and what would be the best length and landscape to cut them in order for them to look good. After I cut my pages, I began to fold them and glue the two long strips together. This way, it starts to look like an accordion book. Once the paper had dried and it was folded correctly, I began to plan what I would do to my pages so they wouldn't look like ordinary pages anymore.
Today I began to cut out shapes in my pages. Some I would string with yarn while others I would leave plain. Today I also added a pocket on my page which was difficult because the paper material I used was very thick and hard to bend. Overall, I think my favorite material I added was the yarn because it gave my pages a cool dimension and it was fun to create.
Today I added a triangle shaped pocket which I thought was creative and contributed to my own style of artwork. I also added a few more cutouts so I could string them with yarn as well. I also incorporated pop outs along the edges that connect the pages together. I think the pop outs make the pages look edgy and bold which goes along with the idea of my black and plain hashtags. My pages are almost complete and now I am just adding the final touches.
Today I completed all of the requirements I need on a page. I added pop outs, yarn, pockets, and weavings. All of these details were time consuming but totally changed the look of my book. One of my favorite details is the green weaving that goes over the black and white hashtag. In my opinion the colors and patterns look fantastic as they cross which makes the page appealing and less boring.
Today is one of the last days I worked on this project. For today, I decided on what paper I wanted to matte my cover pages with in order to cover the white. I picked a royal blue cover because I thought that wold look best with the pages right beside it. I also had to figure out how to attach the pages without totally glueing one side to the cover. As it turns out, there was a super simple solution to make a small fold and hot glue that to the cover. I had tried liquid glue first but it did not turn out so well due to the books weight and covers toughness.
Today I put my whole book together and reflected on this project as a whole. Making this book was one of my favorite projects all year because it was detail oriented and incorporated skills we have learned throughout the year. I liked my color scheme because it was bright and cheerful. I also liked this project because the book at the end felt very my style even though I took noted from Johns. Overall, I think I met my goal of making a good balance between what is my style compared to Jasper Johns. I was very happy to complete this project because I really did put a lot of time and effort into it and it felt very personalized with the shapes and words I chose to use.